How to evaluate condition of used Mazzer grinder - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

So unless they offered a "bare bones" model in 98 I doubt that refers to the year it was built. I was under the impression that the "no light" SJs were much older but I could be wrong. The one I picked up is definitely older then 98 & it has the light & timer.
LMWDP 267

ddr

#12: Post by ddr »

One way to guess at the age would be to look at the big capacitor which (at least on mine) is visible if you remove the bottom plate. My SJ has no Mazzer label, it has a small plate (with two screws holding it on) with a spot for a serial number and date, but they are not filled in. The capacitor in mine is engraved with July 1982. It has no light or timer, just an on/off rocker switch (looks like an old circuit breaker). The cord on mine comes out the bottom, and the plate on the bottom (3/4" cast iron I think) has cutouts allowing the cord to pass between the back rubber feet or on either side. Mine has no Mazzer marking anywhere, the vanity plate on the back is white with "Cafethema" in raised red letters.

The only thing I checked on mine when I went to look at it was that the burrs span and that there was no wobble. It made a horrible whining, but I assumed that was from a horrible amount of caked up old coffee and oil; several hours of cleaning with Greased Lightning (orange oil degreaser) took care of that. After I cleaned it up I replaced the burrs and have been very happy. Once I get my new Vario in I will take it apart and work on a doserless mod as I really hate the doser (but not enough to take it out of service without a backup!).

Take Care, and if you need any help getting it apart I have collected alot of the information posted here and on other sites, so feel free to ask.

Dan
Dan
LMWDP #242

GC7

#13: Post by GC7 »

JohnB. wrote:They are in Ansonia, CT., just northwest of New Haven off Rt.8. Roberto said he didn't mind me giving out their contact info: Send him an email at: rvelez"at"ctmetal.com

Be advised that they originally had around 300 grinders a couple years ago & have been selling off the best ones first. Whats left will need paint, burrs, hopper, lids, probably a power cord & one hell of a good cleaning. I'm happy with the one I got as the bearings are good, no dents, all fasteners are like new & even the burrs look/feel serviceable. Just a heads up, if you need to change the upper bearing you will need a hydraulic press to pop out the rotor assy. Currently mine is stripped to a bare case w/field winding & upper bearing while I prep it for paint.
Thanks John - I'm up in New Haven every week during golf season but sadly my only hobby right now will be my espresso and possibly shoveling the driveway tomorrow :cry: It seems like the pickings are slim right now and I'm still getting to know my Compak so I'll keep the $$$ for my HotTop in a couple of weeks.

Ben Z.

#14: Post by Ben Z. »

Thanks John for the contact info. I called this morning and met up with a really nice guy (maybe the owner) working there. Picked up a nice major (no hopper or doser lid, otherwise fine). Anyways, just to let everyone know, the guy seemed surprised that all these people were suddenly interested in the grinders and mentioned that he really didn't want anyone just showing up during working hours (they were closed today), so please call them first and set up a time to stop by. He had 8 or so grinders set up on a bench which all seemed pretty good and let me pick from them; for liability reasons, I don't think he wants people digging through the pallets anymore.

All in all, they seemed like really good people to deal with and even recommended phaelon (sp?) coffee on ebay for any parts if I needed them. Funny, that's who I bought my SJ from!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by JohnB. »

He shouldn't be surprised as he said it was ok to put the info on the forum but you definitely want to set up an appointment to see the grinders. They pulled out the fork lift & even moved crates so I could see all the SJs the day I showed up. I got all my Mazzer parts(tray/feet/burrs) including a doserless conversion kit from Owen at Phaelon Coffee & I highly recommend emailing him before buying any parts elsewhere. His prices were much lower then what I had seen on other sites.
LMWDP 267

Ben Z.

#16: Post by Ben Z. »

I think it was just more of a "I can't believe there are so many crazy coffee guys around!" Now I need to figure out what color to paint the major...

EricL (original poster)

#17: Post by EricL (original poster) »

Appreciate all the responses. Honestly forgot to check back as we were snowed in for a couple weeks, and someone else scored the grinder. Ended up buying a new Compak K3 Elite. Thanks for all the input.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by JohnB. »

Ben Z. wrote:I think it was just more of a "I can't believe there are so many crazy coffee guys around!" Now I need to figure out what color to paint the major...
I went with a Rustoleum charcoal metallic after trying a silver. IMO spray can silvers never look good but I wasn't really happy with the look of the charcoal either. Spray can metallics don't deliver enough clear so the metallic ends up sitting on top knocking down the gloss. I ended up buying a can of Rustoleum clear coat & laying several coats over the charcoal. I let that set up overnight, wet sanded with 1200g & put on a couple more coats. Nuts I know but after doing show quality paint work on motorcycles for many years I just can't stand looking at a lousy paint job. I should have just broken out my spray equipment & used "real" paint but I convinced myself it would be quicker to use cans. :roll:
LMWDP 267

sweaner

#19: Post by sweaner »

John, give us a pic of your paintwork!
Scott
LMWDP #248

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by JohnB. »

Haven't taken a good pic of the grinder so this will have to do:
LMWDP 267