Kafatek Shuriken MD burrs -body/texture?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
rblankin
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by rblankin »

I drink only espresso and drink mostly 1:1 (and shorter) shots. I like high texture/body from medium to dark roasts. I like experimenting with lighter roasts, but don't want to give up the high-texture option for medium to dark.

I recently switched my MC3 burrs from Mazzer 186C to the new Shurikones. My impression so far is that clarity and sweetness are increased, bitterness is decreased, and there is a delicate creaminess. I've pulled lots of tasty shots with the Shurikones, but on the downside, I think I'm getting less body/texture compared to the 186C burrs. I assume some of this is inevitable trade-offs, but I still want to explore the other options, especially those from Kafatek.

I combed through the Kafatek forum and searched HB, but haven't seen much about user experience with the Kafatek Shuriken MD burrs, either in the Flat or the Max. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has used them and can comment on body/texture, as well as other aspects. Any comparisons to MC3/4/5 with the 186C or Shurikones would be especially interesting. I'd also like to hear the downsides of the MD burrs; pretty much any good option has trade-offs/limitations. (I may end up with 2 grinders but would like to keep it to 1 by choosing carefully, if I can.)

Thanks!