Nuova Simonelli Mac Digit Restoration Journey

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Dougfur

#1: Post by Dougfur »

So I'm about to embark on the full strip down of my Mac Digit single group from 1997. It has sat for many years and it shows! It came out of an Italian restaurant where they didnt seem to know what maintenance was. Let's just say it's pretty rough. However, I did get it for minimal cost and I have lots of time to work on it as I'm retired. The good news is that I hooked it up to a water supply and turned it on. The boiler heated up and the only leak was one of the braided steel hoses had a drip. The volumetric controls all lit up and clicked when I pushed on them. I didnt go any further with it as the steam valve is seized.
I'd like some input as to how to proceed on this restoration from the group. I'm trying to source the diagrams for the machine so I can reference parts numbers and mark all the parts on the diagram as I remove them.
I'm having trouble finding the diagram for this machine- seems the Cup and Mac2000 are more prevalent. Are the diagrams the same for all these machines other than the cosmetics? They seem similar other than the labels and controls. Any suggestions on sourcing replacement parts would be appreciated(I'm in Canada

Dougfur (original poster)

#2: Post by Dougfur (original poster) »

Hoping someone can help me find the parts diagram for the NS Mac Digit or confirm it's the same as the Mac Cup and 2000?
Also, can someone tell me the differences between the Mac Digit, Cup and 2000?
Thanks very much

Advertisement

#3: Post by Dougfur (original poster) »

So I'm getting ready to place an order for parts. It looks like the machine has been in storage for years so I'm wondering what parts I should just be replacing instead of trying to reuse the existing ones. I'm particularly concerned about any safety/pressure valves and any other suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

#4: Post by Dougfur (original poster) »

So I've labelled everything and taken lots of pictures.
Time for disassembly!

I have plugged the machine in prior to breaking it down, Here's what I've found:
Boiler fills and heats up.
Buzzing sound coming the the area of the Sirai, dont hear the pump or motor running
Volumetric controls light up and click when pressed. Will get a flashing light as it seems to time out.
Would you suggest starting with the capacitor on the motor as a first step?
Other thoughts?

glinskonian

#5: Post by glinskonian »

Dougfur wrote: Buzzing sound coming the the area of the Sirai, dont hear the pump or motor running
Volumetric controls light up and click when pressed. Will get a flashing light as it seems to time out.
Would you suggest starting with the capacitor on the motor as a first step?
Other thoughts?
If you don't hear the motor running then I doubt changing the capacitor would get it spinning. Even with a bad capacitor, the motor should engage and you should be hearing it (just not spinning).

I would take the pump out and run the motor without it to see if that changes anything. If still no luck with getting the motor to spin, try using your hand or something else to spin the shaft of the motor to get it going while it's turned on.

If that still doesn't work, check the hot wires coming into the motor for voltage (be very careful). I'm not familiar with your machine but you should be able to hook up a multimeter to one of the hot wires and check for voltage.

glinskonian

#6: Post by glinskonian »

Hmmm if your boiler if filling up then the motor and pump must be functional. There should be some kind of sensor or valve on the machine that detects when your water level is low. That could be faulty.

#7: Post by Dougfur (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. I took the pump off, it was seized up. The motor runs smoothly without the pump. Will be ordering a new pump

Advertisement
glinskonian

#8: Post by glinskonian replying to Dougfur »

Ah bummer. Just to confirm, are you able to spin the shaft easily on the pump? (I assume not)

You can also have the pump rebuilt for $40-$50 instead of buying a brand new one.

#9: Post by Dougfur (original poster) »

The pump was seized up-only turned slowly with pliers
Not sure where I could get it rebuilt in Canada
Suggestions appreciated

glinskonian

#10: Post by glinskonian replying to Dougfur »

Some local espresso technician shops should be able to rebuild it.

Can you send some pics of the pump?
Depending on the manufacturer, you might be able to ship it directly to them for a rebuild.