La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Square One Roasters

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
DoubleR
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by DoubleR »

The January edition of the LM Home Espresso subscription features Square One Roasters out of Lancaster, PA.

Coffee. #1:
Thaddeus Espresso
Origin: Brazil & Columbia
Process: Natural (Brazil), Washed (Columbia)
Variety: Bourbon, Yellow Bourbon, Cantimor, Catuai (Brazil); Castillo, Caturra, Gesha (Columbia)

Suggested Brewing: 18-19 grams, 28-32 seconds, ~1:2 ratio, 203 F, 9 bar

Coffee #2
Zambia Kateshi
Origin: Zambia Northern Province
Producer: Kateshi Estate
Elevation: 1300 masl
Process: Lactic & Yeast Fermented Washed
Variety: Castillo

Suggested Brewing: 17 grams, 27-28 seconds, ~1:2.5 ratio, 203 F, 9.25 bar

--------

Interested to hear what you all think. I'be been without a machine and pushed the Thaddeus through my Picopresso the past week. It was good, but then again everything I push through the Pico I categorize as good, because I'm just so amazed that the little device can produce the shots that it does. My Linea Micra got delivered today, so I'll be pulling both the Thaddeus and the Zambia tomorrow morning. The roast date on my beans was Dec 30. Beans arrived on January 7th. Since I didn't know when my LMLu was arriving, I froze 1/2 my Thaddeus beans and all of my Kateshi beans on January 8th.

LMWDP #755

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

I'm glad to see a thread on this month's coffees. Looking forward to hearing how folks are finding these roasts.

I've only pulled the Kateshi so far but am loving it - it has me excited to try the other bag.

I found the flavor notes on the bag to be pretty spot-on. My first shot, which wasn't dialed in yet, had the sangria note come though so strongly. I actually worked to tone down the sangria flavor as I dialed it in. I personally love roasts like this which are fruit-forward, but still quite developed with mild acidity. I would order this specific coffee again.

I'm pulling this at 6 bar and around 201° on my Strietman. 14g in and I've been experimenting with shots everywhere from 25g to 32g out.
LMWDP #534

DoubleR (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by DoubleR (original poster) »

Just getting ready to pull mine. Interesting on the Sangria... I'm not even sure if I know what Sangria tastes or smells like. :lol:
LMWDP #755

Supporter ♡

#4: Post by DoubleR (original poster) »

I pulled the Kateshi that past two days. I know I originally said I didn't know what sangria tasted / smelled like, well I guess that was a lie. Now of course I've had Sangria in my lifetime, but when thinking about it, I couldn't pinpoint Sangria's flavor profile. But the smell of Sangria comes through on this Kateshi immediately after grinding. Without the tasting notes of sangria, I doubt I would've described it as such, and instead would described a "winey" type of profile. In any case, I'm enjoying it. I'm pulling it at 9 bar, 203 degrees, 15 gram dose at a 1:2.5 ratio on my Linea Micra and Niche.
LMWDP #755

fhyrew

#5: Post by fhyrew »

I had the Zambia as a batch brew in Square One's shop a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I found it had subtle notes of the fruit-forwardness and ferment you'd expect from a natural balanced by the nice malic acidity of the pear note. Pretty unique and interesting for a washed coffee.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by DoubleR (original poster) »

Agreed, I really enjoyed it over a couple of weeks.
LMWDP #755

Pprior

#7: Post by Pprior »

Hey everybody.

I've got a Micra on order and so will be activating the Espresso subscription once it arrives.

I've been drinking espresso for just about a year and considering my palate and my ability to dial in coffee to be both the the beginner/newbie stage, so I'm super excited to get coffee's that have recipes for best extraction and to have tasting notes and hopefully some great comments here on each month.

I'm really hoping to learn a lot more about the art of espresso and tasting.

Was just excited to see this thread here, and hope to join in or at the very least lurk in the coming months when my machine arrives.

Cheers.