Water for La Marzocco in Melbourne Australia?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
cheng.albert

#1: Post by cheng.albert »

Hey! I'm been researching on water and LM Linea Mirco, or any LM, and I can't seem to find an answer specifically for Australia market.

Do I really need to use the specced water for the machine? I've been using boiled tap water in Melbourne for my Gaggia Classic for more than 10 years and hasn't had any issues.

If yes, what brand of water or what option do I have in Melbourne? I've read the LM website the the bottle water is not available in AU.

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

cheng.albert wrote:Do I really need to use the specced water for the machine? I've been using boiled tap water in Melbourne for my Gaggia Classic for more than 10 years and hasn't had any issues.
Melbourne water is famously soft, and does not require anything other than a filter to handle particulates, with a carbon block or activated charcoal for chlorine, taste and odor.

The La Marzocco advice (https://international.lamarzoccohome.co ... achines-2/) says:
"La Marzocco's water guidelines can be used to compare with local water test results. Some bottled water recommendations are softer than this, but are still safe to use."

Their online water guidance needs work. They should also say that some local waters (Melbourne, Oslo, Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Atlanta, San Francisco ...) are softer than this but may still be safe to use with simple particulates and charcoal/carbon filtration.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
cheng.albert (original poster)

#3: Post by cheng.albert (original poster) »

Thanks Pat! So would a simple filter like Brita work?

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

cheng.albert wrote:So would a simple filter like Brita work?
Brita in Australia is different from Brita here in the US. Over there, the Brita filter that works for soft water like Melbourne would be the Purity C Fresh. It's a simple particulates + activated charcoal filter. If you have a filter on your refrigerator water line, that should do the job as well.

P.S.
Brita here in the US is primarily just pitcher filters, and their 'Longlast' or 'Elite' filters are good choices where you want to filter particulates and chlorine, off tastes, and odors. These filters are preferred over the standard Brita pitcher filter where you have very soft water and don't want the acidifying effect that you can get from the decarbonizing resins in the standard Brita (as well as most pitcher filters from Pur, Soma, etc.)
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h