Help to fix a leak - Izzo Alex Duetto VI Plus

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
bartrs38

#1: Post by bartrs38 »

Hey hello HB users and happy new year,

I am posting today to have your experience to support me in fixing a leak I discovered some days ago, when the machine was off. Also, I had a short circuit because of the water so I would like to know if something needs to be done on this before reconnecting the machine.

This is my first time I open this coffee machine. I expected to see more easily where the leak comes from, but it is not so much straightforward. :shock:

I am able to determine the region thanks to the rust, which is just below the steam boiler.
I can also see some green oxidation, but it is not exactly where the rust is installed so I am not sure if this is something to consider.
There is some humidity on the border of the octagonal part that I think is for heating the boiler, some rust on a pole, and blue cables are wet.

Could you help me by giving troubleshooting actions that can help me to resolve those two issues ? Please, could you also precise which specific tool or product I would need for your actions ?

Thank you so much

Math

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Posting clear detailed pictures would be a big help. It sounds like you have a leak at the steam boiler heating element. This is usually caused by a defective heater element gasket that was originally green silicone.

It should be replaced with a teflon ring, part # GC 35. If this is the case, order 2 as the brew boiler uses the same gasket and might eventually leak too. You will also need an electric impact wrench and deep impact socket to remove and reinstall the element without damage to the machine.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bartrs38 (original poster)

#3: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

Please see pictures properly attached this time. :oops:
I missed the place inline button.

:D

#4: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

@BaristaBoy

I have just attached the pictures.
Thanks for your reply and your pictures. Sounds like a plan for me and quite relevant.

Additionnal questions :
- Do you recommend to disassemble the heater to proceed on this replacement ? Or as I can see operate directly from the bottom ?
- I don't understand how to find/understand the part number part # GC 35

Thanks again for your kind support

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Extract the heating element from the bottom of the machine. Steam boiler element will be more involved than the brew boiler element. You will definitely need a Sunex 246D 1/2-Inch Drive 1-7/16-Inch Deep Impact Socket to reduce possible damaging of the element electrical leads.

Here's a better link to the correct part.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/collections ... c771&_ss=r

#6: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

Hi BaristaBoy !

Thank you so much for your help on this. Your inputs were very helpful to drive me to the resolution.
I decided to disasemble the boilers completely and change the ring of both boilers. I am now more experienced with different parts of the machine.

I have no more leaks now, and resolved other issues thanks to the help of Chris coffee support and Prodistec.

I still have an issue with the machine, the water is boiling (PID set at 93 degrees) in the coffee boiler and fill the group head of steam. I already tried to clean the temp sensors. I will open a dedicated topic on the forum for that request for help.

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Glad your resolved your previous issues.
Any error codes on the PID display?
Might be a defective boiler temperature sensor.
Speak to Sam at Chris's Coffee.
If you need 1-sensor - buy-2! :mrgreen:

You can also try swapping the brew & steam boiler tempe rature sensors as they're the same part, switch 'OFF' the steam boiler and see if that resolves the problem. Then you'll know what to do and parts to order.

#8: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

There is no error on the PID display.
I tried to clean and switch the two sensors. (and broke the security sensor in the boiler at the same time :x )
Same behavior after cleaning and switching.
I am communicating with Tim and Joe that are trying their best to support me in this strange behavior.
I shared them those PID default values. E1 is different from a technical document they shared to me (10 instead of 18), but seems that this configured value didn't reach their attention, so I think it is ok.
- F.01 = Celsuis
- F.02 = 7
- P = 1.3
- i = 0.06
- d = 1.5
- t1=92
- t2 = 123
- t3 93
- e1 = 10
- e2 = 0
- e3 = 0

#9: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

Machine is going to certified reparation center here in France.
Will keep you in touch !

#10: Post by bartrs38 (original poster) »

Repaired.

Issue was the vacuum breaker no longer working. So it was an air gap in the system and wrong temperatures.
Hope it will help someone