Wacaco Picopresso - No Crema

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
max1

#1: Post by max1 »

Hi all,

After some help on my new Wacaco Picopresso - while I'm excited about having proper coffee at work and when away am slightly disappointed that it's brewing a bit bitter and with no crema. Have to admit am a newbie with home espresso...

I'm grinding my coffee as fine as it can go and still no luck, does it need to be even finer or am I doing something wrong, could it be the type of coffee or even amount of water?
I'm setting machine up as is described by Wacaco so any help appreciated.
Thanks so much!

The Bone Ranger

#2: Post by The Bone Ranger »

I don't have any problems generating crema with my Picopresso, using an 1zpresso K-plus grinder and good beans.

Make sure you are doing the following:

- 18g of freshly ground coffee
- fresh beans
- heat the pico before using
- use freshly boiled water when it's time to make espresso

If your grinder is as fine as it can go, I suspect that might be a problem. The pump mechanism should require a good amount of effort to push in order to create sufficient pressure. If it's quite easy for you, then you're probably not grinding fine enough.

mandarling

#3: Post by mandarling »

The Bone Ranger wrote:I don't have any problems generating crema with my Picopresso, using an 1zpresso K-plus grinder and good beans.
Just curious: what setting do you have on your K-Plus for this? I have the K-Ultra and I'm doing a 3.3/3.5; I have *some* crema but I'd like to push it further, still trying to figure out this setup (with the Picopresso as well)

Cheers!

The Bone Ranger

#4: Post by The Bone Ranger »

I'm around the 3.5-3.8 range, I think. Not really using anything too lightly roasted, either, since maintaining heat isn't really the picopresso's strength.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

How fresh are your beans?

Typically, classic espresso is "good" between a few days off roast to two or three weeks, depending on how picky you are. "Best by" dates are usually a sign to be avoided. Very few supermarkets carry beans that are fresh enough for espresso in a machine that uses a conventional basket, rather than a pressurized or "crema" basket.