Dialing in SSP 64mm Unimodal v1 (Brew)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CoffeeIsWeird

#1: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

Hello.

I don't have these burrs but here's a question...

Internet seems to agree that these v1 burrs (less fines) are somewhat more difficult to dial in compared to v2 (tiny bit more fines).

I assume this refers to pourover as well. If so, please help me to understand why they would be more difficult to dial in.

A couple of wild guesses.

Is it because the good tasting extraction yield band, as measured by a refractometer, would be more narrow? Let's make up an example - say for some particular beans the best flavours appear around 20.40-20.60% for v1 as opposed to much wider 19.00 - 21.00% for some other burrs?

Or are they more difficult to dial in because the resulting EY tends to be less repeatable / more random from one brew to another. Even if all the input variables looked pretty much the same, you might get 20.00% in one brew, and then 21.00% in another?

Or the EY is very repeatable for the same recipe, but the taste will be unpredictable for the same EY from brew to brew?

Any other reason I can't think of?

Hope the question makes sense :-) Thanks.

Acavia

#2: Post by Acavia »

It

Jonk

#3: Post by Jonk »

I haven't used the v2, multi-purpose burrs. Nor do I have a refractometer accurate enough for brew.. But:
  • I do not find the unimodal v1 burrs difficult to dial in for espresso.
  • they're definitely not difficult to use for pour over.
I'm guessing the reputation for v1 difficulty arose from using the burrs in low RPM grinders, where there might not have been enough fines produced with light roasts and high flow espresso baskets. I have only used the burrs at 1400RPM and had no issues there.

CoffeeIsWeird (original poster)

#4: Post by CoffeeIsWeird (original poster) »

@Jonk - yeah, for espresso that makes sense, many people seem to point out that low fines burrs perform particularly well for faster kinds of shots

@Jonk - thanks for the feedback about your experience with v1 for pourover, it seems the dial in process was fairly typical for you

@Acavia - just to be on the clear side, is that based on your actual experience with v1 for pourover?

Thanks for your replies, @Jonk and @Acavia. As a newbie I've always found it a bit challenging to wrap my head around quantifying/defining "difficult to dial in". Glad to learn from both of you.

Acavia

#5: Post by Acavia »

CoffeeIsWeird wrote:
@Acavia - just to be on the clear side, is that based on your actual experience with v1 for pourover?
No just assumptions on how grinding works in general.

EvanOz85

#6: Post by EvanOz85 »

Anyone with these burrs able to pull traditional 9-bar shots with light roasts, or just mostly lower pressure turbo-style shots? Having trouble dialing these in on my P64 and I'm pretty much at burr touch.

Jonk

#7: Post by Jonk »

I can easily pull traditional 9 bar 1:2 shots, both with an Ode and Mazzer Mini E at 1400RPM using uncoated SSP unimodal V1 (well seasoned) and nordic roasts (well, the Ode doesn't like it..)

EvanOz85

#8: Post by EvanOz85 replying to Jonk »

What basket are you using? I was using the Unifilter with a paper filter which may have just been too much in terms of flow for the burrs.

Felice

#9: Post by Felice »

I've had a set since 2019 and find them very forgiving in a variety of brews- v60, 155 and the chemex/ bonavita set up I use in the AM when it's too early to be competent with hot water. My favorite home cook recently put down her cup of a home roasted Yemeni/Sumatran blend and announced it was the best coffee she had ever had. Love em, but I leave the espresso to the Vario and Niche. This will likely get me off my ass to dial in espresso with them. If I do, I'll report back.

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

EvanOz85 wrote:What basket are you using? I was using the Unifilter with a paper filter which may have just been too much in terms of flow for the burrs.
Oh, I use a Robot basket. With pre-infusion I think it uses a grind roughly equivalent to a VST basket in a regular straight 9 bar machine without a paper filter.