Burr alignment on Fellow Ode V1

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Tacobae

#1: Post by Tacobae »

Trying to do a burr alignment on my Fellow Ode V1, but no marker is coming off. I made it chirp, but somehow all the market is still there. I tested to see if I could rub it off, and I was able.

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Richard

Between about 11 o'clock & 2 o'clock it looks like some of the marker has worn away at the outer perimeter. At this stage I would be more interested in what's happening to the marker on the stationary burr, this is the rotary burr judging by the wipers on the burr carrier that rotates clockwise.

I would begin shimming the stationary burrs and evaluate those results first. Shim the area(s) of the stationary burr with small squares of aluminum foil where there has been no marker wear on the stationary burr to slightly elevate it.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

jdrobison

#3: Post by jdrobison »

Unless I'm mistaken, the design of the original burrs prevents the teeth from making contact with each other.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

It's not that it keeps them from touching, it's that there is no flat area at the edges making it very hard to see the touching.

Tacobae (original poster)

#5: Post by Tacobae (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote: I would begin shimming the stationary burrs and evaluate those results first.
Thanks for the welcome, and happy new year!
My question, due to lack of knowledge, why shim the stationary burr first? Would shimming both not make it more difficult to align?