Upgrade burrs or move to conical grinder?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Allystar

#1: Post by Allystar »

Hi, I'm looking to find what would make the biggest difference in a latte when making an espresso, upgrading to the SSP Multipurpose burrs for the DF64 or get a Niche Zero and move onto conical burrs.
Im finding the DF64 with stock lacking something, what that is i'm not sure. Any help ?

DustinT

#2: Post by DustinT »

Conical is an interesting question for me. I look forward to the responses on this.

Advertisement
erik82

#3: Post by erik82 »

Just buy beans that are roasted a bit darker or have more chocolate notes to get a bit more punch. That'll make a lot more difference then buying a conical grinder. Ofcourse a conical will give more body and mouthfeel using the same beans but different beans is a lot cheaper. Those burrs are capable of producing thick full bodied shots with the right coffee.

But if you have too much money burning in your pocket and enough room on your counter then it's always nice to have 2 grinders :mrgreen: .

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

"Lacking something" isn't really enough to go on.

I'd agree that choice of coffee is the first thing I'd explore. I'd look at more than just roast level. The quality of greens, blend, and roast quality make huge difference in the cup.

russel

#5: Post by russel »

erik82 wrote:Just buy beans that are roasted a bit darker or have more chocolate notes to get a bit more punch. That'll make a lot more difference then buying a conical grinder.
This. The most a grinder can do is help you rearrange the various properties in a roast, maybe allowing you to focus on certain flavors, maybe making them more intense, or maybe helping you find a preferred balance/combination. If you find that you really love your beans but are yearning for them to be a better version of themselves, a different grinder might be the way to go. If you want your coffee to be different, just get different coffee
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com