Bean routine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
espressoren

#1: Post by espressoren »

Hi all! As I was measuring the last full shot worth of beans from my vacuum canister this morning and noticing that I only had about 7g of beans left, I began to wonder what everyone else's bean management is like.

When you get to the last bit of a batch of beans, do you toss it? Do you mix it in with the next set of beans? Do you make an extra large shot? Do you feed it to the neighbor's kid?

And for that matter, do you buy in bulk? Or freeze? Or buy a single 12oz at a time for some variety?

Explain your bean routine.

mikelipino

#2: Post by mikelipino »

My ends and old beans go into a small jar of purge beans. I switch from filter to espresso several times daily, and it helps drawdown and shot time consistency to make sure any transfer in the grinder is at the same grind size. I've gotten it so that the purge pot tends to empty and refill each month almost exactly

s4g

#3: Post by s4g »

you can pre-weigh doses from the main bag and freeze, if you have a strange remainder depending on your dose/bag you can combine a few doses + the remainder into a drip batch with the appropriate amount of water scaled to the beans.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

12 or 13 g go into filter for me. If it's a really good coffee I might put 7 g into a VST/LM single. Otherwise they end up in blend-of-the-moment as filter.

Purchasing habits for me are almost exclusively light and lighter roasts. These tend to come in 250, 125, or 100 g bags. I'll usually buy enough at a time to maximize coffee per shipping cost, assorted across a few different options, such as 1,250 g from Manhattan. As these are light roasts, I usually let them sit in a cool spot for month* after roast. I'll then vacuum pack and freeze. With medium roasts, I'd be freezing them a lot sooner. The delay between purchase and being able to taste the coffee adds complications as the small lots are usually sold out long before you know you like a new coffee. Sometimes I get lucky with my guesses about two-bag buys, occasionally they end up in the burr-seasoning stack.

* These are roasts that are generally lighter than US-style filter roasts. These roasters' recommendations are often 20-60 days or more after roast. Mood Trap ("Prady") in front of me says "Best between 30-100 days after roast".