Your New Year's roasting resolutions? (mine: start cupping)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
minus1psi

#1: Post by minus1psi »

The forum software suggested starting a new thread rather than extending the existing one in a new direction.
pcofftenyo wrote:(from post #61 of a different thread.) Did either of you notice any difference between the two (low vs higher charge temp) on the cupping table?
I need to cup but do not. My roast output is less than 100g per batch, and that output is not from sample roasts but production roasts. I have just been slack about cupping.

@pcofftenyo has given me a New Year's roasting resolution to add to the list!

I'll mount this as a lame defense, until recently there was very little chance I could reproduce a roast if it was good or adjust it if it was not so tasty. Even now my ability to reproduce a result, although significantly improved, feels tenuous. But your question is on point. My roasts should be cupped.

Until figuring out to pay close attention to drop temperature, I drank the coffee (which is stored in a cabinet in mason jars labeled with the roast # and other info); if it was good the next roast I looked up the Artisan graph and tried to reproduce it. The result was usually different from the target. Now that I have something I can hang onto as a starting point (temperature @ drop) I am hopeful that reproducing roasts will be easier and more achievable.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

My New Year's resolution is to start roasting for Christmas coffee gifts earlier next year ... I know what I am doing this evening :D.

More seriously, my New Year's resolution is to reduce coffee stuff. Too many machines, too many grinders, and, if I'm honest with myself, too many roasters. As I have never used any of my "backup"/"good for parts" roasters in four years, it is time to ensure they are working, and move on.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

GDM528

#3: Post by GDM528 »

baldheadracing wrote: reduce coffee stuff.
These guys 'set the bar' for minimalist coffee gear: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-63525375 And it's a worthy goal after any coffeemaking workflow, for doctors to report that you're in 'stable condition'.

mpdeem
Team HB

#4: Post by mpdeem »

-Install temperature probes and Artisan on my popper
-swap roasts with fellow roasters

My kitchen dial thermometer and memory aint cutting it anymore. A series of lighter roast experiments inspired my resolutions.

Thanks for starting this thread. Feel free to check up and make sure I carry through on these resolutions.

GDM528

#5: Post by GDM528 »

minus1psi wrote: My roasts should be cupped.
Me too! After doing it just a couple times:
My first revelation was on the degree that my espresso workflow was clouding my ability to evaluate my roasts.
My second revelation was that I've been roasting much better than I thought - essential motivation to press on.

I hope you post notes on your progress on this effort, as I'm interested in how others map cupping notes to tasting notes from espresso shots.

mpdeem
Team HB

#6: Post by mpdeem »

baldheadracing wrote:My New Year's resolution is to start roasting for Christmas coffee gifts earlier next year ... I know what I am doing this evening :D.

More seriously, my New Year's resolution is to reduce coffee stuff. Too many machines, too many grinders, and, if I'm honest with myself, too many roasters. As I have never used any of my "backup"/"good for parts" roasters in four years, it is time to ensure they are working, and move on.
Funny...I was just thinking that I need to expand my coffee gear. I have been on one roaster (modified popper) and brewer (moka pot) for over a decade.

mpdeem
Team HB

#7: Post by mpdeem »

GDM528 wrote:Me too!
My first revelation was on the degree that my espresso workflow was clouding my ability to evaluate my roasts.
My second revelation was that I've been roasting much better than I thought - essential motivation to press on.

I hope you post notes on your progress on this effort, as I'm interested in how others map cupping notes to tasting notes from espresso shots.
I second this..hope you share cupping notes on your roasts...especially those roasted on your popper since I am trying out new profiles on mine...could use the inspiration.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

mpdeem wrote:Funny...I was just thinking that I need to expand my coffee gear. I have been on one roaster (modified popper) and brewer (moka pot) for over a decade.
The first roaster I bought was a popper. However, just after I found it at a local thrift shop, a used iRoast2 was listed and I went with that instead. Almost a decade later, I still use my iRoast2 as my "sample roaster," and I've made lots of popcorn on my popper over the years :D.

Re: Moka pots - I've been using mine this week instead of espresso and am seeing if WDT, puck screens, and paper filters help. (I can't stop trying mods.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada