Help with Gicar pin assignment

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
andyd

#1: Post by andyd »

I have a Cimbali Junior from the late 90s. The machine was serviced as needed and over the years technicians have replaced the pressurestat, descaled it etc. We moved this May and the machine developed problems with leaks. Randomly water would leak out in an unpredictable fashion. A local technician replaced the boiler solenoid. This worked for a few days and the problem resumed. I noticed that the leak was coming from the overflow tube coming from the loser (the type with the multiple rods). I returned it to the shop and he changed the solenoid on the doser. Once again, this did not fix the problem.
Around this time I started reading about this machine here and saw that this type of problem could be related to a faulty Gicar. I asked the technician about this and he said he didn't think that was possible - his reply was that he hoped that wasn't the issue since that Gicar is no longer manufactured. Based on my readings on the site, looked for a Gicar replacement.
The original Gicar in the unit has a Cimbali part number of 531.691.300 and it was apparently replaced by the 531.691.308 with a Gicar part number of 9.1.19.79. No one sells this part any longer but Brooks Parts in the Netherlands (super responsive and helpful!) had a compatible replacement RL30/3ES/F-G, Gicar part 9.1.29.01G which I purchased.
When I opened the box today I was dismayed to find that the pins are labeled and arranged differently. The original has 9 pins in a row, the new unit has 2 rows, one with 6 pins and one with 3 pins. Unfortunately the diagrams and labeling are completely different. I've seen the various posted schematics (as well as the "Glossary"), but they're not helpful in identifying which pin on the new Gicar corresponds to which function. I'm attaching a photo of the original Gicar in the machine and the new one.
Can anyone tells me if these are truly compatible? And if yes, which pins correlate with which?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you tried contacting the supplier of the replacement for assistance?
Seems like they might have a solution that won't involve hair-pulling.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

andyd (original poster)

#3: Post by andyd (original poster) »

I did contact them, they are looking into it and I am awaiting their response. They did send me a link where compatibility seems to be confirmed:

https://nuovaricambi.net/en/product/382 ... 01g?pt=603

Hopefully someone knows which wire goes to which pin!

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

It looks pretty straight forward. Both have their labels still on.

1 is Phase on both.
2 is neutral on both.
You ground the grounded one (SR on original, 10 on new)
8 from the original goes to 8 on the new, 9 goes to 9, these will be reservoir sensor and boiler fill probe, but I don't know which order.
I guess I don't know what "H" is, what component is connected to it on the original?

So 7 has to be pump(4 on new?)

Then, it appears in the diagram that 5 and 6 must respectively be Element and Fill solenoid (so that it isn't heating when it needs water), and the new one doesn't appear to function in this way Does the new board have a second throw for relay 2?

Lastly, the old board appears to be internally jumpered for phase to the common side of Kc/relay2/EV while the new board's sticker shows it to not be internally jumpered, so you may have to add a jumper from 1 to 3 on the new board.

With any luck the retailer will confirm the above (and know what "H" is, if it is connected).

andyd (original poster)

#5: Post by andyd (original poster) »

Thanks - starting to make sense. I know the H is the maximum fill rod on the unit and 9 is the minimum fill rod. The 8 goes to the rotary dial for the various shot settings and the ground is obvious.
So now, the 1 and 2 and the 8,9,10 make sense. It's the 3-6 which remain so confusing to me.

From a different post, here is the electrical schematic for the machine, showing the connections to the old Gicar:

Does this help to figure out 3-6?

THanks!