Grinder advice dialing in new Macap Leo 55

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
martinitime65

#1: Post by martinitime65 »

Hi. This is my first post here and hopefully someone can give some advice. I just bought a Macap Leo 55 grinder from a online place who shall remain nameless. The instructions for the machine said it was already set for an espresso grind at 4.5. So naturally I tried this first with terrible results. The coffee came pouring out in less than 10 seconds. I kept trying finer grinds down to slightly below 1. The coffee was still coming out way too fast. Contacted seller who advised me to quote "turn the grinder down until the blades screech". This seemed crazy to me so I'm asking am I wrong on this?
Thanks

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Typically the way you set the zero point is with the grinder running, slowly set the grind finer till the burrs touch, light screech, and then back off till it stops. Then mark that as zero and work from there.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

I don't know if you're new to making espresso at home, but if so, check out Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Grinders. What you describe sounds like the classic symptom of stale coffee. It could be the grinder is way off -- the video explains how to sanity check by feel (TL;DW - the coffee should feel coarser than white pepper and stick together somewhat when pressed).
Dan Kehn