WDT Reloaded - History and Evolution of the Weiss Distribution Technique [video]

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

Lance does a deep dive on the WDT. John's article Banish Uneven Extractions with the WDT was among the first published on HB way back in 2006. Along with Jim Schulman's The Home Barista's Guide to Espresso, they've been the go-to recommendations when someone asks "How do I improve my espresso?"

Arguably many of the "de-clump" grinder improvements over the years can be traced back to the recognition that poor distribution was at the heart of many extraction troubles. It all started with a simple idea, but I cannot think of one technique that has had a greater impact. Thanks John! And thanks Lance for the video retrospective.
Dan Kehn

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

So John was the intro how it really happened? :-D
RapidCoffee wrote:
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee »

Absolutely! "Medically precise needles" and all. :P (I actually used a dissecting needle from an old college dissecting kit.)

BTW Lance appears to have reinvented Dan's "spirograph" stirring pattern of Feb 2006, which he renamed "earth and sun" (~14:00 in video).
John

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

RapidCoffee wrote:BTW Lance appears to have reinvented Dan's "spirograph" stirring pattern of Feb 2006, which he renamed "earth and sun".
From a logical perspective it's about the only way to stir that makes sense. Otherwise it's very easy to make an unlevel bed, though something like drawing a 5 pointed star might work, or maybe if you had a powered one that just turned back and forth 1/4 to 1/2 turn you could just move slowly around the basket with good results. Like he pointed out, it will be interesting to see what the BH automatic one looks like. I keep thinking about how to build one that both homogenizes and levels, but I guess not hard enough.

Lancehedrick

#5: Post by Lancehedrick »

In one of the old threads, either here or on CoffeeGeek, either you or someone talking about you referred to it as "medically precise." I'd never use that term otherwise with regard to wdt haha! Regardless, using a dissecting needle then is brilliant.

And I was unaware if the spirograph. Didn't mean to reinvent or rename anything! Just ignorance. Adding that link to the caption now!

HB (original poster)
Admin

#6: Post by HB (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:...I actually used a dissecting needle from an old college dissecting kit.
I have two or three John Weiss original WDT™ dissecting needles, circa 2006. Given your newfound fame, they may be worth something. :lol:
Lancehedrick wrote:And I was unaware if the spirograph. Didn't mean to reinvent or rename anything!
No worries Lance, it's hard not to accidentally [re]discover something in coffee. So many of the topics that resurface nowadays were discussed many times in alt.coffee more than 20 years ago.
Dan Kehn

BaristaBoy E61

#7: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

HB wrote:No worries Lance, it's hard not to accidentally [re]discover something in coffee.
If you want to learn something new - read an old book!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

dominico
Team HB

#8: Post by dominico »

Lancehedrick wrote:"medically precise."
For what it's worth I enjoyed the video, and found your intro very entertaining.

Also, "Earth and Sun" technique has a nice zen feeling to it :)
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

dingrr

#9: Post by dingrr »

Coincidentally, just two weeks ago I finally made up a DIY tool using Accupuncture needles with toothpicks for a handle. I've been reading about this for years! Definite improvement using earth and sun. Nice video, Lance.

Lancehedrick

#10: Post by Lancehedrick »

HB wrote:I have two or three John Weiss original WDT™ dissecting needles, circa 2006. Given your newfound fame, they may be worth something. :lol:
No joke- I would pay for one of the originals. Let me know if you'd be willing to part. I'd legitimately love that.