How to assess descaling progress?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaMcBob

#1: Post by BaristaMcBob »

I'm working on a home HX machine and do not have the opportunity to inspect the inside of the boiler. I've never descaled a machine before.

I have no idea how much limescale is built up. Can I tell by looking at the drained boiler liquid whether the boiler is now clear or whether I need to repeated the process? I'm using Urnex Bio Caf descaler.

cafeIKE

#2: Post by cafeIKE »

Can't comment on the Urnex product, but with Citric Acid, when the water runs clear, you are done.

From a long way back Simplified HX Descale [PourOver]

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

BaristaMcBob wrote:Can I tell by looking at the drained boiler liquid whether the boiler is now clear or whether I need to repeated the process?
When descaling using citric acid, I always take pics of each purge to evaluate progress and maintain separate pics for steam boiler and brew boiler as our machine is a double boiler. So I 'treat' the boilers separately.

The colour for the purged liquid runs from dark green when there is a lot of scale to light green to blue.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

BTW, when the water runs clear, I remove a fitting and do two flushes. It's a lot quicker than running gallons of water through to get rid of the sour taste.