La Marzocco Mini Pressure Gauge with Backflush

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
beans+crumble

#1: Post by beans+crumble »

I noticed on my LM Mini (bought new May 2022) that when I use the blind basket to backflush the machine the pressure on the brew pressure gauge will be at 9 bar with the first flush but then climb to 10-14 bar with subsequent flushes. When portafilter is removed and group is ran "free flow" the gauge will read 9 bar as well as 9 bar when pulling an espresso shot. Is this expected behavior or do I need to reach out to LM for troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for your insights and expertise!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

beans+crumble wrote:...When portafilter is removed and group is ran "free flow" the gauge will read 9 bar as well as 9 bar when pulling an espresso shot.
Variants of this "is this normal" question come up regularly. My short answer is: The brew pressure reading while pulling an espresso is the only one that matters. See What is normal pump pressure at idle? for the longer answer. That said, if you're seeing 14 bars at the gauge, you need to adjust the expansion valve since it should be capped at 12 bar.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful