Bunn G3-T cannot remove burrs

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Sushisombrero

#1: Post by Sushisombrero »

I bought this Bunn Grinder G3-T on offer up, so far it grinds well. Took it home before opening it up and I'm unable
to remove the burrs. Any help would great! Looks like coffee oils are caked on and I'm unable to remove the auger assy?

Should I return it? The guy was cool and I think he'll take it back. I'm pretty sure it's just the burrs that need replacement but I don't know. I just soaked the hopper in cafiza and it's brand new.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

You probably need to push the auger back as far as it will do and file the burrs off the edges of the slot in the shaft. That's what the problem with my two was and it's been the same for a few others here.

Advertisement
Sushisombrero (original poster)

#3: Post by Sushisombrero (original poster) »

Photo:

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Was there a question?

#5: Post by Sushisombrero (original poster) »

Yes! How can I remove the front piece of the burr? It seems to me stuck due to oils any ideas??

ira
Team HB

#6: Post by ira »

Like I said, you need to push it back as far as it will go and then deburr the edges of the slot in the shaft. Can you move the burr carrier at all? If you put a very large slot screwdriver in the slot in the shaft, can you move the burr carrier?

#7: Post by Sushisombrero (original poster) »

ira wrote:Like I said, you need to push it back as far as it will go and then deburr the edges of the slot in the shaft. Can you move the burr carrier at all? If you put a very large slot screwdriver in the slot in the shaft, can you move the burr carrier?

What do you mean by deburr the edges?

Yeah I can fit a slotted screwdriver in the slot and the burrs move and grind fine. It just won't budge and move. I just want to remove the auger assy so I can change these burrs and give it some TLC. It looks like it's been through the ringer.

Advertisement
ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

Between the burrs and the burr carrier was a shear plate that carries the motion from the motor shaft to the burr carrier. It sits in the slot at a slight angle. Over time is pushes the edges of the slot in the motor's shaft out, making the shaft very slightly larger in diameter at its end. That's slight enlargement, i.e., burr, makes it difficult or impossible to remove the burr carrier. After removing it, the burr should slide right off. It's probably easier to see and fix if you have a second person to hold the burr carrier back. It's a very small burr so you might only be able to feel it, not see it and maybe it's something else on yours. None the less, I was the first one here to figure this out on a Bunn and it worked on my two used Bunns and a number of other used ones acquired by our members along with the similar design on early Ode grinders where the same problem showed up.