Tip for Improving Microfoam

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Pressino
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Pressino »

I was having a lot of trouble with large bubbles on the surface of my steamed milk and tried a few ways to get rid of them...rapping the bottom of the jug on the counter, adjusting the angle and depth of the wand while steaming, etc. Rarely could I get what I considered a nice velvety "latex paint" consistency. I recently steamed milk in one jug with a rounded spout and decided to change to a jug with a more pointed spout to practice latte art, so I just dumped the steamed milk into the other pitcher (same capacity). I was very pleasantly surprised that the surface bubbles were gone and the milk developed the exact consistency I'd been looking for.

I'm quite sure this trick has been found out by multitudes already, but it really does work. I'm also sure real baristas know how to get perfect microfoam without gumming up their workflow with this trick, but for us tyros who seem unable to get to their level, this easy trick may just be the answer.

NicoNYC

#2: Post by NicoNYC »

Pressino wrote: ... I'm also sure real baristas know how to get perfect microfoam without gumming up their workflow with this trick ...
Ive seen some shop baristas steam a large pitcher of milk then decant into a smaller pitcher to pour each drink, maybe 3 or 4 capps. Certainly makes sense for a high volume shop where one person just cranks out espresso drinks and the other handles customers, pastries, etc.
LMWDP #718

Advertisement
BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Pouring the steamed milk back and forth between 2-pitchers is certainly the ticket to tame any milk. Keep the 2nd pitcher on your cup tray to keep it warm for a lower ∆T between pitchers. Pour back & forth till you're satisfied with the result for Latté Art creation.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

bored117

#4: Post by bored117 »

Another tip when you pour to another jug, aim the flow to wall of it to not introduce any more bubble.

Pressino (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Pressino (original poster) »

Good point...kind of like pouring beer from a bottle (or tap) into a glass to avoid an excessively foamy head.

Bluenoser

#6: Post by Bluenoser »

You are likely too high with the tip when introducing air. You just need small rips occasionally. Eventually you should find you don't produce large bubbles.transferring between jugs is really good for furthing mixing the foam so it is more consistent.