Gorilla Gear burrs for Niche Zero/Mazzer Kony

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
randyr5
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by randyr5 »

Gorilla Gear is taking pre-orders for their new burrs for the Niche Zero/Mazzer Kony. 20% off until 11/18. I just ordered a set. Decent price, too, IMO.

https://gorillagear.coffee/products/gor ... 1553259608

The prices shown are in NZ dollars. With the 20% discount they are around US $210 shipped. New Mazzer burrs are $150+ these days.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Tempting.

But does harder steel with less friction really improve the shot or cup?
Jim Schulman

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

In the world of a busy shop where their claim of a 10 degree temperature reduction and extended life might matter, maybe. In our world, profile probably matters much more and they sort of mention cleaning up part of the profile so maybe? It doesn't seem there are many third wave shops using big conicals any more so maybe burr life was the only goal.

randyr5 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by randyr5 (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Tempting.

I'll let you know when I get them.

bakafish

#5: Post by bakafish »

another_jim wrote:Tempting.

I don't know about the 63mm burrs, but their 71mm burrs geometry is different from Mazzer's and really improves.

DaniPGK

#6: Post by DaniPGK »

Is it worth the change the mazzer burr to gorilla burr in general?

Checking the website, it does not list the specifications of what we are getting into. Like i guess the weight so the niche motor can handle, the dimensions so we can compare the tolerance

This means buying blind, is that the case with changing burr set?

This is all new to us. I am not sure i want to use the term upgrading? That would mean the mazzer burr are poorer in quality, which i am doubtful for their reputation and size of production economy of scale.

Wodan

#7: Post by Wodan »

Website says they ship 21Nov. Are yours on the way?

Pour_Slow

#8: Post by Pour_Slow »

Got a shipping notice a few days ago and an email today from John Gordon saying they had some delays, but all pre-orders are now on their way. Mine should arrive next week sometime.

Wodan

#9: Post by Wodan »

Just got mine. Did the 1kg "settling" that they recommend and then pulled a couple shots. I had to grind about 10 numbers finer than with stock burrs for the same coffee (3 vs 13). It took a few tries to get it dialled in and then I ran out of beans, but the one shot I drank was delicious.

1canuck2

#10: Post by 1canuck2 »

I received my GG burrs for the Niche today as well.

Got them installed and ran 2lbs of crappy Melitta beans in batches (took a long time, and I rested the grinder in between). Here's some first impressions:

My calibration "zero" point changed by 14. Not a surprise as they are entirely different burrs, just stating this for observation reasons. Once re-calibrated, I had to dial in a couple of numbers closer to zero to get the same shot time out of my ECM Synchronika.

Grind impressions:
Notably less clumping. I WDT anyway, but will say the grounds look nice and "fluffy" without obvious clumps.
I noted slightly less static, but I never had major static issues anyway (and do NOT do RDT).

Extraction: nice and even, no obvious channeling. My puck prep is quite consistent now so not surprised, I was not having major channeling with the stock Mazzer burrs either. Plus, I've only pulled four shots (the first of which completed in 15 second so got poured down the drain).

Taste: I made an Americano for my wife, which she thoroughly enjoyed (not the best test though, but that's what she wanted to drink).
I made an afternoon cappuccino and it was as good as any I've made.
My evening shot was a straight espresso and I definitely enjoyed it. Not bitter or sour, as good as any I've ever pulled before, and this was only my fourth pull on the new burrs. I do not know if I have a refined enough palate to truly say - I'm not the Hoff - but I am impressed so far.

I'd love to do a side-by-side test with a Kruve sifter to see if there's reduced fines, but it seems like better looking grounds, just too hard to be scientific with the naked eye.

I obviously don't want to regret my purchase, so there's a bias towards liking them. I am not claiming to be scientific here either, but I am happy with my purchase so far. I am sure over the next couple of weeks they'll bed in a little more and I'll get even more consistency.

I am eager to hear impressions from others who made the investment.