Having trouble setting up Kafatek Max grinder

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Jax67
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Jax67 »

Forgive what may sound like a newbie question here.

I just acquired my friend's Flat MAX, a 2021 model that he only ground a pound through or so to season it. Per the test report, grind setting is 3.3 for his requested use (see photo 1). Worked fine for him and he didn't move red arrow or anything. I just took delivery of it from him, and tried using it on some local brewers beans in my new Linea Mini.

What's crazy, is even when I set to just before 0 (per the red arrow) (see photo 2), it is way too coarse, and brews 36g in like 5 sec (seriously).

If I turn the outer adjuster as far clockwise as it goes, so it is all the way tight to go as fine as possible, red arrow is at 12 o'clock (photo 3). If I brew here, it is way too fine and barely brews at all.

I tried turning it back counterclockwise some (photo 4) and it is still too coarse and brews 36g in 5-6 sec.

Before I continue, Am I doing something wrong or could a setting have changed or gotten jostled during shipping/unpacking? Friend agree it is strange....

Any advice appreciated.

THANKS!

Advertisement
EvanOz85

#2: Post by EvanOz85 »

It's normal. There's some kind of internal mechanism that Denis claims will "settle" with use and cause the grind to coarsen drastically. Happened to my Max as well. Just find your zero point, rotate the adjustment a tick or two back, and move your sticker to that new point. Should be good to go.

Jax67 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Jax67 (original poster) replying to EvanOz85 »

Thanks for reply, just to clarify, what do you mean by find your zero point? To tighten it all the way first (while running or not?); then set red arrow to 0 with it all the way tightened?

What is strange to me, it looks almost 180 deg off from the red arrow they put on (and only ground 1 pound since)

danetrainer

#4: Post by danetrainer »

If you haven't gotten it straightened out I'd be willing to take a look at it for you. With it being used anything is possible with the zero set and red pointer being so far off. (Least likely of course there is nothing damaged or wrong with the grinder...they are the most overbuilt grinders on the market).
With the grinder running just turn the collar down until you start hearing a "touch" then gently go a little further until you hear a good "Zero" contact point usually maybe two small marks at most, shut it off and set your Red pointer at zero.
My home is now in Palm Coast, just moved in from Jacksonville in June, you can bring your Max down here or I do get up to JAX from time to time (twice last week).