First Shot Slower Every Morning

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Moxiechef »

Every morning I pull 4 shots of espresso. With the grind setting at the same place as yesterday, I grind the first weighed dose, shake, tamp and pull. Invariably, it's 7 to 20 seconds longer than the next three. Say 40 secs versus the other three at 30. I have a Monolith Flat and a LM GS/3.

Any thoughts as to why? The grind retention in the monolith is less than .1g.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

How long do you warm up the machine for before using? I find running a blind basket before my first shot helps.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Pressino »

Also make sure you rinse and then wipe dry the portafilter between shots. And flush the group for a second or two before the first shot. Those two things should reduce the extraction time differences.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

Moxiechef wrote:Every morning I pull 4 shots of espresso. With the grind setting at the same place as yesterday, I grind the first weighed dose, shake, tamp and pull. Invariably, it's 7 to 20 seconds longer than the next three. Say 40 secs versus the other three at 30.
If you want to pursue this, it might be worth ruling out the grinder:
- grind enough coffee for several shots
- mix grinds well
- pull several shots, back to back, being extra careful with puck prep (maybe try WDT)

If you get highly repeatable results, it's probably the grinder. If not, it's puck prep or the espresso machine.
John

cafeIKE

#5: Post by cafeIKE »

Sounds like a pump or valve issue.

Moxiechef (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Moxiechef (original poster) »

Definitely more variable than I thought of. I'll give these a shot! Thanks y'all.

BaristaBob

#7: Post by BaristaBob replying to Moxiechef »

An easy way to rule out a pump/flow issue on the GS3 would be perform a 30 sec. water only debit just before that first shot in the morning and then after your last shot in the morning. Any big difference here would point to a machine issue.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"