Londinium R24 reliability?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
boshk

#1: Post by boshk »

Any Londinium users here who can give a review of their machine?

I'm more interested in the 'after warranty has expired' issues.
-How high-tech is the machine? just a PID?
-Is it easy to maintain, clean and most importantly,
-how easy/hard is it to get spare parts?
-can you take it apart like E61 to clean/descale etc?

I used to have E61 grouphead machine, that was relatively easy to take apart and clean and get replacement.
I'm on a E1 Prima now which is full on tech.......I wouldnt have a clue how to even determine the fault if there was one.

thank you

CoffeeMac

#2: Post by CoffeeMac »

Can't say anything about the LR24, but my Compressa has been rock-solid. No issues. I chose it because it is very simple - a pressure stat + heater, water sensor + fill controller + solenoid, and indicator lights are the only electrical parts on it on it. No electronics, pumps, WiFi, software, apps, etc.

Reiss provides excellent support, even if you are the second or third owner, either via email or the support forum. He publishes a complete parts list so you can purchase spare or replacement parts easily.

I've done some modifications to my machine, and I've found it very easy to work on and have no worries that I'll be able to self-maintain as long as I own it.
Eventually you will end up with a lever.

LMWDP #706

Cuprajake

#3: Post by Cuprajake »

I had a l1 and then a lr24.

The l1 was a 2014 model

The safety valve blew on it, the issue was the sarial pressure switch. That needed replacing, along with the safety valve. I changed all 3 led on it. This was when it was 6-7 yrs old.

All the parts can be bought. I updated the front drip tray, they did how ever send me the wrong thing, I had to return the wrong part at my own cost.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with londinuim, but I don't hold a grudge. I just try to be honest about it.

knumph

#4: Post by knumph »

I've had my LR since Christmas 2018. The only thing I've had to do is replace my heating element. Easy enough once you track down a 38mm hex socket. Besides this I've just done the basic stuff, applying grease to the piston seals, replacing piston seals, replacing shower screen etc etc. Reiss will answer any question you have and walk you through repairs personally. Also, there's a channel on YouTube from a Londinium user out of Amsterdam (I believe?) that walks you through most repairs. I believe the channel is [anonymized].

Overall, the machine has been a joy to use, excellent results, and not hard to service yourself at home. Reiss has been in my experience very responsive and keen to get your equipment repaired asap. One caveat: depending on where you live, shipping can be a bear

retireddude

#5: Post by retireddude »

CoffeeMac wrote:Can't say anything about the LR24, but my Compressa has been rock-solid. No issues. I chose it because it is very simple - a pressure stat + heater, water sensor + fill controller + solenoid, and indicator lights are the only electrical parts on it on it. No electronics, pumps, WiFi, software, apps, etc.

Reiss provides excellent support, even if you are the second or third owner, either via email or the support forum. He publishes a complete parts list so you can purchase spare or replacement parts easily.

I've done some modifications to my machine, and I've found it very easy to work on and have no worries that I'll be able to self-maintain as long as I own it.
I completely agree. I bought a Compressa for exactly the same reasons; it's a simple machine that I can repair myself if necessary. I've owned mine since January. I did have one issue, a bad anti-vac valve. After a brief bit of trouble shooting, Reiss sent out a replacement valve, I did the swap, and it's been smooth sailing since.

boshk (original poster)

#6: Post by boshk (original poster) »

Thanks guys, much appreciated

s20Merlin

#7: Post by s20Merlin »

I've had my LR since March 2019, which i bought here when the machine was 2 months old. I had a problem with a socket or valve and my pump was making some noises about a year later.

I had a new socket shipped to me and a brand new pump shipped to me for free. Reiss did a video call with me to help me change that piece (I'm not very mechanically inclined).

I haven't changed the pump yet, but when I'll absolutely have too, I have a brand new one to put in.

I'm more than satisfied with my machine, with the service and the results I'm getting.

Simong

#8: Post by Simong »

I've had a new LR since 2017(?).
I upgraded to digital pre infusion and also had to replace the solenoid. During both of these, Reiss video called me and patiently instructed/ supervised me.
Before Reiss was on one of these calls, I tried to get the machine accessible, and bent a pipe, by twisting a bolt the wrong way! - He couriered a new pipe, free, to me over-night.

After warranty care is in my opinion exceptional.

rgrosz

#9: Post by rgrosz »

I purchased my L-R in December 2017. Up until a year ago, it has been quite reliable. I have had to replace the Mater pressure switch several times (lasts about 18 months). And the piston seals last about 12 months, since I only pull 2 or 3 espresso shots each day.

In October 2021, I had various problems with the seals. I replaced the piston seals, but that didn't fix the problem. Replacing the group seals was a real pain!

After about six months I had more problems with the seals. And my machine basically stopped working in June. Final resolution was that most of the piston seals (from Londinium) were defective. The solution to my problem was to buy the blue Cafelat silicone seals:
https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... ton-gasket
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee