DF64 - do you leave it on all day?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
cactus_farmer

#1: Post by cactus_farmer »

I've realized that unless you turn the DF64 off at the plug, the power button stays lit all day.

If you're like me, you'd have to reach behind various kitchen appliances to turn the grinder off at the plug - which makes doing so pretty annoying.

Do you guys leave your DF64 on all day - and does doing so shorten the life of the grinder in any way?

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

Mine has been "on" since the day I got it. It's just a power indicator. Probably the same kind of current draw as the LED power indicator on the Niche Zero, which has been "on" even longer.

Advertisement
ltanzil

#3: Post by ltanzil »

don't worries. it is just led indicator. no electricity being sent to the motor at all.
it should be fine

neobenji

#4: Post by neobenji »

I actually thought about the same thing and I ended up killing two birds with one stone: I bought Kasa smart plugs and have them on both my GCP and the DF64. Every morning they come on about 30m before I brew my first coffee and it means the GCP is warmed up, too. When I'm done, I just turn them off from my phone.

malling

#5: Post by malling »

cactus_farmer wrote:I've realized that unless you turn the DF64 off at the plug, the power button stays lit all day.

If you're like me, you'd have to reach behind various kitchen appliances to turn the grinder off at the plug - which makes doing so pretty annoying.

Do you guys leave your DF64 on all day - and does doing so shorten the life of the grinder in any way?
With current kwh prices in Europe I leave nothing on when I don't intend to use it!

My grinder is plugged in socket that is turned off when I hit the light switch for the kitchen so that solved that issue.

If I didn't I would definitely put a timer on it, I don't think it shorten the lifespan, many grinders are meant to be on rather continuously, I have had grinders that was on for years and never turned off (obviously not running) there as the other say no power going to the motor.

So turning off is mostly for power saving reasons and reduce your electric bill.

Arcoril

#6: Post by Arcoril »

neobenji wrote:I actually thought about the same thing and I ended up killing two birds with one stone: I bought Kasa smart plugs and have them on both my GCP and the DF64. Every morning they come on about 30m before I brew my first coffee and it means the GCP is warmed up, too. When I'm done, I just turn them off from my phone.
The Kasa smart plug has a wifi radio in it. It uses more power than your DF64 does in standby.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#7: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

You can buy a plug 'adaptor' with an on/off switch.