Mahlkonig E80s vs Lagom P100 (SSP HU)

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
dixi08
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dixi08 »

Hi guys!

I was wondering if some of you had the chance to do a taste comparison between the Mahlkonig e80s and the Lagom P100? (light to medium roast)

I'm really curious to know the difference in term of clarity, body and sweetness between the two.

The P100 should be clearer I guess, but the burrs on the Peak and e80s are known for their sweetness. Is the P100 better in sweetness too?

Curious to hear from you guys!

LindoPhotography

#2: Post by LindoPhotography »

You're probably right in regards to your assumption, I think drink quality you'd be happy with either but if your into low retention and single dosing one is the obvious choice (p100).

Eiern

#3: Post by Eiern »

Yeah I'd look at workflow first, if you plan only to pull a few cups a day at home single dosing is the way to go and here P100 is at the very top regarding retention without bellows and RDT.

I rarely have to change my dial throughout a bag of beans and rarely waste any beans/shots with my P100.

I still think a Lagom P80 with auto purge would be a cool product for those that want original lab sweets or E80 burrs (and whatever else available). I would be very tempted to buy one. I would not want a ditting for both it's size and the reports of big variance in alignment. SSP will probably never make a 1:1 Lab Sweet copy, for good or worse depending on what you like in you coffee.

Taz

#4: Post by Taz »

As the others have said, workflow is the main difference.

I just wanted to throw in there, that in my opinion, the E80 burrs are a step up from the cast peak burrs in terms of clarity. I know they are supposed to be identical aside from the process... but something about the machining process seems to cause it. I tested E80 burrs in a peak and found there to be a definite improvement in clarity. Not to mention that the E80 burrs are a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I would definitely choose them over the cast version.

So I wouldn't write off or mark down the E80 for lack of clarity (obviously they will be different from any 98mm burr though).

malling

#5: Post by malling »

dixi08 wrote:Hi guys!

I was wondering if some of you had the chance to do a taste comparison between the Mahlkonig e80s and the Lagom P100? (light to medium roast)

I'm really curious to know the difference in term of clarity, body and sweetness between the two.

The P100 should be clearer I guess, but the burrs on the Peak and e80s are known for their sweetness. Is the P100 better in sweetness too?

Curious to hear from you guys!
The Burrs on Lab Sweet and E80 is not the same, lab sweet uses cast the E80 now uses a machined version that has a different finishing section to make it more suitable for espresso and make it a bit more modern.

P100 can do many different burrs so how it dos very dependent on the burrs some are very clean like Brew others less so but generally the SSP are more clean then Lab Sweet that is more rounded, sweater/juicier with more pronounced fuller texture that isn't fragile and delicate as those from SSP, the E80 is probably somewhere in between.

Workflow night and day tradition hopper use vs SD

Taz

#6: Post by Taz »

Interesting... I thought I heard someone from mahlkonig claiming that the burrs were virtually identical. I didn't take too much time to visually identify differences

malling

#7: Post by malling replying to Taz »

That's not really what I seen or heard from others, there clearly differences also the taste experience also very clearly underline differences. I know Hedrick is trying to get a pair for his 80mm burr comparison.

Taz

#8: Post by Taz »

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. There are clearly taste differences, therefore the burrs can't be the same.