1974 Microcimbali Issues - Help diagnosing

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cidadao

#1: Post by cidadao »

Hi All,

I've had a 1974 Microcimabli for about a year now-it's gotten a lot of use, probably about 4 drinks a day. I've had to replace the gaskets twice, which I'm not bothered to do. The first repair, about halfway into my year of use, bought me six months of great cappucini. I recently changed the gaskets again, however, and after two or three days of normal use, the machine fails to pressurize (the spring doesn't seem to engage/the lever has no tension on the rise). I opened up the machine again, didn't find anything glaringly wrong, reseated the gaskets. That bought me two or three days before the same issue cropped up. Any idea what might be going on? I will add that I was able to do the full service as described on the Orphan Espresso Guide (https://www.orphanespresso.com/La-Cimba ... 51-1.htmli) because I didn't have the correct clamp. Could that be the culprit?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Best,
Adam

p.s. the machine does seem to pressurize when the boiler is off. As in, if I press down on the lever before I've loaded the portafilter, a high-pressure spurt of water comes out...