The Perfect Espresso Towel! - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
networkcrasher

#11: Post by networkcrasher »

Psyd wrote:If you do this in your kitchen sink, wrap your strainer in pantyhose or cheese cloth to keep the grounds out of your trap.
I've been putting grounds down my drains for years and have never had a problem. Your post suggests otherwise?

Stuggi (original poster)

#12: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

It depends on how your house treats wastewater. In the US some houses have something like a mill that grinds down anything you put down the drain, in that case you should be alright. If you have a straight pipe under your sink (well, not perfectly straight, but without added contraptions bolted on) it's borderline, and if you have a trap under your sink (canister that you have to empty every once in a while), you shouldn't if you don't fancy cleaning that thing every month.
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

Psyd

#13: Post by Psyd »

networkcrasher wrote:I've been putting grounds down my drains for years and have never had a problem. Your post suggests otherwise?
This would actually be quite a lot of grounds if you didn't stop it. Grounds can and will build up in the trap, 'cause they are by nature, sediment. If you flush when you put the grounds in, it isn't a big problem, but remember, I'm suggesting that you boil quite a few grounds with those towels. So yeah, that amount of grounds in the sink could create an issue.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

bogiesan

#14: Post by bogiesan »

But who does that laundry? And in what kind of machine?
I do all of my own clothes and I am responsible for all kitchen laundry. We have had an Asko front loader for many years. Great machine. It doesn't use bleach but relies on super hot water from an inline heater to get whites really clean. "Clean" doesn't necessarily mean bright white, though. while they're practically sterile after 205F for twenty minutes, the Asko simply cannot pull the espresso stains out of the big pile of little cotton tea towels I got at IKEA ten years ago. My coffee towels are kinda dingy.

david boise ID

luca
Team HB

#15: Post by luca »

I have two Cafetto microfiber cloths that do a fantastic job on steam wands. They're not cheap, but I have had them for two or three years and they look pretty close to brand new after having been thrown in the washing machine every week. Espressoparts is now stocking Cafetto products, so y'all up north can now get them.

Cheers,

Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Psyd

#16: Post by Psyd »

bogiesan wrote:But who does that laundry? And in what kind of machine?
?!? Who are you asking?
In any case, I'd re-iterate soaking the towels in a ground coffee and hot water mix to dye them a uniform coffee brown. This way new stains don't show up, and older towels don't look dinghy, they look 'natural'.
What coffee shop are you working at? I'll send my nephew.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Stuggi (original poster)

#17: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

Do you have to restain them every time you wash them or does the color keep well?
LMWDP #136

shadowfax

#18: Post by shadowfax replying to Stuggi »

I believe that the boiling "sets" the color in pretty well (like dyeing with a regular dye). I've been saving up my pucks since I read Chris' comment the other day, and I am looking forward to attempting to do this with my coffee rags soon. I'll report back after the experiment.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Stuggi (original poster)

#19: Post by Stuggi (original poster) »

Nice if that works out, I might do the same to some of my towels so they look cleaner.
LMWDP #136

sweaner

#20: Post by sweaner replying to Stuggi »

I like that concept. Make something "dirty" on purpose so it looks cleaner! I will have to use this line on my wife, though I doubt she will buy it.
("Honey, I didn't clean the table because I am trying to make it cleaner")
Scott
LMWDP #248