Vacuum breaker - serviceable? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
erics
Supporter ★

#11: Post by erics »

Ozark_61 wrote:Actually - does anyone know if this is it?
Yes, that is it, assuming the internals of your ECM look like the those in the pic posted by Mike here:

Problem with ECM Giotto pressurestat

The thread size is 1/4-19 BSPP which has an OD of 0.518".
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

erics
Supporter ★

#12: Post by erics »

In addition to the above, there IS an o-ring which is internal to the vacuum breaker and is used as the face of the valve which seals to the nylon(?) or teflon(?) seat indicated as Item 3. See below pic:

The arrow for Item 1 is pointing towards the tiny o-ring whose OD is about 9/32" and whose ID is about 9/64" - measuring o-rings is NOT my forte. The diameter of the brass shaft that the o-ring slips over is 0.150". Can you find one at the local hardware store that would work? Yes, but not for too long.

Item 2 is the valve housing which either screws into the boiler or a tee which is screwed into the boiler. The threads at the end of the arrow on Item 2 are the BSPP threads as previously described. They are sealed by means of a suitable sealant, teflon tape, or copper sealing ring (preferable).
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Ozark_61 (original poster)

#13: Post by Ozark_61 (original poster) »

Nice diagram! Those seals would be the thing to replace, but for a $12 total part, probably going to pay more to have to find the specialized pieces to make it not worth the trouble. I had two confirmations that it is the 1/4" valve http://www.espressoparts.com/product/W1 ... _L190.html
LMWDP #570

#14: Post by Ozark_61 (original poster) »

I replaced the valve and noticed that the part that was the problem was the small red gasket from Eric's diagram above marked #1. There was a hairline split in the gasket and generally looked like an old dried out rubber band. For $11, not really worth messing with as it mates to a 'plastic' coupling on the other side that probably could wear over time as well. Somehow I think the descaling solution isn't too friendly to that gasket.
LMWDP #570

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

Ozark_61 wrote:Somehow I think the descaling solution isn't too friendly to that gasket.
There's not much in this world that acid is friendly to. Except the food digestion process, I suppose.

In any case, I wouldn't blame descaling for your o-ring drying out. Its real enemy is heating and cooling, particularly heating. I had the same issue on my Vetrano after 6-7 months (or so), and I haven't been descaling at all.
Nicholas Lundgaard

#16: Post by Ozark_61 (original poster) »

The guts of the valve were black and I assumed that was due to the solution. Well, it's been nice changing the valve for the quietness factor. I've grown accustomed to the constant hiss sound that came from the machine, and now it's completely quiet except for just the sound of the boiler element heating.
LMWDP #570

cajun_brew

#17: Post by cajun_brew »

Just replaced my vacuum breaker on Anita and it's leaking from where the valve screws into the boiler. Can I use teflon tape to try to get a good seal? I tightened it down as much as I feel I should go. Any suggestions?
"I've been fairly untreated"

HB
Admin

#18: Post by HB »

Teflon tape ("plumber's tape") should work. Some recommend Loctite 290 (green), though I haven't tried it myself.
Dan Kehn

cajun_brew

#19: Post by cajun_brew »

Thanks Dan...wasn't sure if if it could withstand the heat. I have it up and running now with no leaks.
"I've been fairly untreated"