ECM Synchronika constant drain nozzle drip

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
tzahif1

#1: Post by tzahif1 »

I have a new Synchronika, it works fine.
The only strange thing is that the drain nozzle is dripping (a drop every few seconds) even hours after the machine is turned off, and it's pretty wired.
Any idea?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

This outlet discharges water from the vacuum breaker valve. This commonly discharges a bit while the boiler is heating up, but should stop after the valve closes when steam temp is reached. You could have a faulty vacuum breaker valve, but this should not continue to discharge after the machine is switched off and the boiler water cools. I suppose it could continue to leak if your machine is plumbed in and the boiler is over filled and the vacuum breaker valve is leaking...but that seems unlikely..

LVD

#3: Post by LVD »

Like the above poster said, it's a 99% chance that it's the vacuum breaker valve. You might as well get a spare or 2 and become familiar with replacing them, as they are a common point of failure and need to be replaced periodically (although it sounds like yours failed quicker than it should have).

Sometimes a tiny particle may be preventing the valve from sealing completely. In this case you can rinse it out and put it back in. But a split in the o ring inside the valve is probably the most common reason for failure.

LVD

#4: Post by LVD »

BTW I also have a Synchronika, and have replaced the valve a few times. Here's a picture of one from a recent replacement.

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

If the drip stops when the brew circuit isn't heating, then it's fine. The expansion valve also discharges to that outlet, the expansion valve allows for expansion when the brew boiler heats.
If you're concerned about it, open the top of the machine and check which valve (Expansion, vacuum breaker, safety or whatever) the flow is coming from... Pinching each tube momentarily will stop the flow through that tube, it should be easy to see which one stops the drip.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Tzahi

How's your water quality?
Scaling water might be interfering with a valve. You might be able to take it a part and clean it out.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

tzahif1 (original poster)

#7: Post by tzahif1 (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestions, the water is fine - it goes through a DVA water softener.
Interesting thing - sometimes it drips, and sometimes (after making coffee) it does not drip.

Revv23

#8: Post by Revv23 »

Hey all, sorry for the bump on this but I feel its closely related.

I just cracked open my machine because its wasnt leaking in the drip tray while heating, it was leaning from inside the machine.

It looks like the vacuum breaker line from the water boiler and a line out the top of the steam boiler were joined with a Y shaped connector leading to the drip tray, and whoever assembled left this sitting on the E61 inlet and it completely melted and blew apart.

Does anyone know what the proper name for this hose is so I can locate a replacement? Thank you!

JRising
Team HB

#9: Post by JRising »

The best answer to your question is "The blue plastic ones are crap". Replace with a brass or stainless t-fitting with similar sized barbs...
https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/barbed-t-connector

Check when the machine is fully heated if the vacuum breaker is leaking. It was probably the constant steam from a leaking vac-breaker that disintegrated the blue plastic. Replace the vac-breaker or its o-ring, if it is leaking.

Revv23

#10: Post by Revv23 »

Awesome! Just what I was looking for, shocking its not that part stock.

I will check the vac breaker once I get this part in.

I didnt see any signs of water around it though. Or do you mean check to see if its still letting fluid into the tube while at temperature? I noticed before the leak the drip tray would slowly fill all day.