What's your ideal grinder setup for excellent home coffee (filter and espresso)

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bjorge

#1: Post by Bjorge »

Hi all

I am looking for an upgrade in my grinder setup, and I was wondering what you have found to be a great setup, or if you had any recommendations.

Currently, I have the Eureka Mignon for espresso, and Hario Skerton Pro handgrinder for filter. I mostly drink filter coffee, so I was on the lookout for maybe a Timemore. The skerton simply has to go, I'd *die* for a decent grinder for filter. The rotation axis of the skerton is strutted by plastic, maki g it rotate like hell and delivering inconsistent Grind size. It is also rather unpleasant to hold for an extended durationoof time (I have small hands, and grind about 30g per batch).

At the same time, however, I'm thinking about upgrading my Eureka Mignon as well (maybe), and I was wondering if both upgrades could, maybe, be combined into a single grinder.

I love the Eureka, but there are some things that just get on my nerves after a while.
  • Clumping is a bit too persistent to my liking
  • Quite some retention
  • it doses by grind time, rather than weight
  • I do enjoy different espressos (I myself love fruity, sour, light roast espressos, but my girlfriend loves cappuccinos, which tend to work a lot better with darker roasts). The Eureka simply does not allow for changing up the beans that easily. Apart from the whole retention thing, the Grind adjustment is, quite frankly, annoying to use. It's a super tiny wheel with a lot of resistance.?
  • Why on earth is the hopper transparent and unsealed?
For now, I was thinking of getting a Timemore for filter, and a niche zero for espresso. I have looked at the Df64 as well, but I've found that its main drawback is ease of use (lots of static, variable grind adjustment numbers).

How well does the Niche work for filter though? Is it worth getting a separate grinder for filter?

Is it even worth ditching the eureka for a niche, or am I better off investing in mitigating the issues it does have? (e.g. installing a bean blower, spraying the beans before grinding to avoid clumping, simply getting used to the grind adjustment)? How does the grind quality compare between the two?

What about a small Mahlkönig for espresso? How does this one compare? Is it worth the price? I've heard that it's rather slow in grinding, but that's not really an issue for me, as making coffee is a time to unwind and relax.

Do you have any other suggestions for a solid grind setup?

Advertisement
Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. I can think of several options that reach into several thousands of euros. It would help to narrow them down with at least a hint of a budget.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

Stick with two separate grinders. A baratza virtuoso, fellow ode, or other brew-focused is possible at any budget over $200 if you consider used or refurbished.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Milligan »

My Ode with SSP burrs has been great for filter so far. I'm not sure if I'd get anything more than that for filter. You mention you didn't like grind by time, but grind by weight (gravimetric) doesn't solve the hopper problem. Sounds like you may want single dose. I think the standard of an Ode with a Niche will provide the best of both worlds at an affordable price. Single dose is a different work flow which adds a bit of time so if you are used to making several drinks in a row it may increase your time.

If you do light roast pour over or aeropress then I'd recommend the SSP upgrade for the Ode. The standard burrs didn't go fine enough for me. I'm not sure the V2 burrs would go fine enough either. I haven't had experience with them.

Also, the niche for filter has been questionable. Some report slow draw down due to fines. It is quite slow for filter volume as well. 60g would take awhile on the niche whereas the fellow would blow through it (niche capacity is roughly 50-55g while the Ode is 80g with top and around 100g without.) Something to consider. You could order the niche and if you don't find the filter performance to be acceptable then order the fellow or something similar.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate »

I'm very happy with my Monolith Flat SSW. Very easy to go between grind sizes on the off time I make filter coffee.

jgood

#6: Post by jgood »

I have a recently become a convert to the Niche so I'd advocate for that for espresso. One caveat is that I am a dark roast drinker so I can't weigh in on lighter roasts. But the grinder is a pleasure and once you adjust to the single dose workflow it's great. I would have a separate grinder for filter as for me it's a cleaner workflow not to swap settings. But retention in the NIche is super low and it is single doser so hopefully someone who has tried dialing back and forth will weigh in.

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

If you drink mainly filter, you might consider something like a 1Zpresso K-series and a Gawoody motor, or an Option-O Lagom Mini. I've been impressed with the few shots I've pulled with the Mini (Moonshine burrs here, as I prefer light-roast espresso). It does well with light-roast beans for espresso (TIm Wendelboe, Coffee Colllective), though there are reports of it briefly stalling with extremely light roasts (it apparently picks up a second or so later). I don't know that I'd recommend it for more than a few shots in a session.

I agree that you'll never get good single-dosing behavior out of a Eureka or other hopper-heritage grinder.

The Niche Zero is a delight to work with. The DF64, at least with 64 MP burrs, is screechingly loud and very messy. If it wasn't one of the cheapest ways to spin 64 mm burrs with at least moderate usability for single dosing, there would be little for me to recommend about it.

Above the Niche Zero the prices for grinders I'd own jump up to around 1,500-2,500€.