Getting started with the Kinu M47

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
waffl

#1: Post by waffl »

Hello all, I just made the (big) jump from a Skerton to a new Kinu M47 in hopes of finally making espresso and was curious if some of the assumptions I have made are reasonable:

I wanted to 'zero' my Kinu and did so by
  1. Remove bottom Receiver
  2. Remove counter screw, handle and drive hub
  3. From the bottom, press upwards so that the grinding cone is essentially flush with the body
  4. Holding the cone in, tighten the adjustment wheel until it holds this position
  5. Reassemble
Is this the correct method to 'zero' the M47? I hadn't quite found any precise directions anywhere other than this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQp6EdZJx0

Should there be any movement in the grinding cone at zero (pushing up from the bottom)? Or should it be completely flush (which requires holding the cone in and tightening with some effort)

Then apologies for a very newbie question, but when I see settings like 1.2 etc, does it mean:
  1. To the number 1 and then two small lines further
  2. One full rotation, to the number two
  3. One full rotation, two small lines further
Many thanks for any help, I am really very excited!

bialettibarista

#2: Post by bialettibarista »

Kinu should come from the factory already zeroed that said it doesn't mean a whole lot because the burrd on the new models don't lock it 0. Just loosen the thumb screw and turn the adjustment wheel to 0. There should be a small market line on the wheel that aligns directly on the zero when fully tightened.

waffl (original poster)

#3: Post by waffl (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick response - so you wouldn't necessarily push upward on the burr when tightening the adjustment wheel?

Regarding the second question, how does one read these setting suggestions?

guijan12

#4: Post by guijan12 »

waffl wrote:Thanks for the quick response - so you wouldn't necessarily push upward on the burr when tightening the adjustment wheel?

Regarding the second question, how does one read these setting suggestions?

Welcome to the forum. :D
My first grinder was a Skerton too, the Kinu being the second one. :)

That is correct, it is not necessary to push the lower burr upward, when tightening the wheel.
The burrs never touch each other and yes there is movement possible at zero (pushing the lower burr up).

Regarding the settings, 1.3.5 would mean:
One full rotation, then further to 3 and the 5 meaning halfway between the 3 and 4 (like 3.5).
The settings on every Kinu differs (I have had 3), but a first setting is a good start.
The change the setting according to taste.

If your espresso tastes sour and you are sure the water temperature etc. are correct; grind finer.
When too bitter, grind coarser, until you find the sweet spot.
Happy grinding! :wink:
Regards,

Guido

waffl (original poster)

#5: Post by waffl (original poster) »

Thanks so much Guido, this answers everything perfectly. Will report back as soon as I have all my equipment and get started :)