Lagom P100, EG-1, or something else?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
clokwork

#1: Post by clokwork »

Hello, I'm looking into large flat burr grinders that won't give me a lot of fuss regarding alignment. Upgrading from a Niche. I'm hoping for something that is ready to go out of the box without mods. I considered Option-O's smaller offering as well. All of their grinders are unavailable to buy immediately.

If either of these will fit the bill or if another grinder is suggested, I would love your input. I remember reading recently about Weber's social media "mishap" regarding a complaint about their burr alignment. Hearing about alignment issues on a grinder of that price is a little concerning, but I don't know how remote that issue is/was.

I seem to only read good things about thee P100, but have no idea when it will be available, but if it's worth it, I will wait. Curious about the Versalab M4, but definitely also open to others.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What do you expect to improve on above the Niche Zero?

What kinds of coffees to you enjoy? Which roasters do you buy from?

clokwork (original poster)

#3: Post by clokwork (original poster) replying to Jeff »

I would say a bit less body and a bit more character from the coffees I get. Mostly medium roasts. Colombian and Ethiopian.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

My personal, biased, self-centered, potentially unsupportable opinions. As such, omissions of oft-suggested grinders are probably intentional.

* DF64 with 64 MP (known quantity) or SSP "sweet" (not so well known quantity)
* Used Super Jolly with 64 MP or SSP sweet
* P64 with 64 MP or SSP sweet
* Ditting Lab Sweet
* Bentwood
* P100 with 98 HU or maybe something else
* Next-generation, 98 mm with HU
* Lagom Mini, Moonstone (said to occasionally stall on light beans, like Appolons Gold)

Based on people whose opinion on both taste and gear i trust, I don't have any qualms about a P100. Given that a P100 would come to my door faster than a P64 would (in the US), the P64 is off the reasonable options list for me. I've got a DF64 with 64 MP in it as a temporary solution as I wait for the next generation of 98 mm grinders. I have a Bentwood. It is an interesting grinder, probably similar to the Ditting Lab Sweet, and probably equally massive on a home countertop. I'd consider grabbing LeverCraft Eric's Ditting if I didn't, or maybe another DF64 and the SSP sweet burrs. (I literally talked myself out of buying the 64 sweet burrs again this evening.) I've got a Mini Moonshine I just ordered, September, I think.

Edit: One advantage of the DF64/64MP or 64 sweet combo is that you can get one now/soon and for under $1,000 make a reasonable value decision on if you want to spend 3x or more on a 98 mm, DItting, or Bentwood. "Minimal" DF64 mods are under $50 and relatively straightforward to do.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

clokwork wrote:Hello, I'm looking into large flat burr grinders that won't give me a lot of fuss regarding alignment. Upgrading from a Niche. I'm hoping for something that is ready to go out of the box without mods.
Would you consider a Mahlkonig E65S?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#6: Post by clokwork (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Edit: One advantage of the DF64/64MP or 64 sweet combo is that you can get one now/soon and for under $1,000 make a reasonable value decision on if you want to spend 3x or more on a 98 mm, DItting, or Bentwood. "Minimal" DF64 mods are under $50 and relatively straightforward to do.
Thank you very much for the reply!! I think I am now going to stay with my decision to get the P100 when it is available again. Whenever that may be... I also took the P64 off the table as it was nearly pre-ordered many times in the last week.
BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Would you consider a Mahlkonig E65S?
That seems to be a great grinder. One huge thing I forgot to mention is I was hoping to get a single dose grinder, but I'm not 100% stuck on that idea.

kidloco

#7: Post by kidloco »

You told us everything but what kind of coffee you are drinking, and that is very, if not the most important. I had P100, I believe it is the grinder with the best workflow, wonderful with light roasts and longer shots, and yeah, not for me. So I have MC4 now, and I am very satisfied. But unless rich to have all, YOU have to make decisions for you: Niche and P100 are not even comparable or at least similar grinders.

#8: Post by clokwork (original poster) replying to kidloco »

I haven't stuck to anything extremely specific except that I don't use dark roasts. I like medium roasts and starting to experiment with lighter roasts.