Two beans...same time

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
costaricacoffee

#1: Post by costaricacoffee »

I roast on a Bullet and was thinking about roasting two different beans (Guat and an Ethiopian) since the finishing temp I'm shooting for is nearly the same.

Does anyone have any experience with this? While I know they are different I'm wondering if there will be a noticeable change in the cup as opposed to roasting them separately.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mkane »

As long as there both washed and moisture content is close, have at it.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Brewzologist »

Nice thing about separately is you can roast each to your desired outcome, then try different blend ratios. An example might be roasting the Guat. to medium and the Eth. to light. Then brew a cup of each and combine small amounts of each using different ratios into a third cup. You can try a lot of different ratios quickly that way.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

I've do this when I get down to the end of a bag and don't have enough for my normal batch size.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by LBIespresso »

Brewzologist wrote:Nice thing about separately is you can roast each to your desired outcome, then try different blend ratios. An example might be roasting the Guat. to medium and the Eth. to light. Then brew a cup of each and combine small amounts of each using different ratios into a third cup. You can try a lot of different ratios quickly that way.
Tonx from YesPlz talked about doing this at cupping. It's a fun and easy way to try multiple blends and ratios while you have a pen in hand.

yakster wrote:I've do this when I get down to the end of a bag and don't have enough for my normal batch size.
This is more my speed. It's more adventurous. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised and others not so much but I'm always up to try.
LMWDP #580

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I feel like I have a handle on roasting 700 gram batches in the Bullet which makes me reluctant to try smaller batches
-Chris

LMWDP # 272