Fellow Ode, burrs totally locked

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
M8GO

#1: Post by M8GO »

Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, in fact this is the first coffee related forum I have ever registered on.

I'm looking for some help with my newly purchased Fellow Ode, which I think I've broken within half an hour of receiving it. I've looked around to see if anyone has had the same problem, but can't find anything, so here's what I've done (bit in bold is my problem):

I received it from You Barista in the UK yesterday, unpacked it and followed the instructions for before using. Run it for 10 seconds and then stopped it. Put a handful of old coffee into it to grind through on setting 11. Emptied it, waited a minute and put another handful in, did this 3 times.
I noticed after the the third time it stopped turning off and just carried on, with a chirping noise every few seconds like something was stuck. Checked Fellow's video and decided it had jammed. Rocking and tapping the sides a few times did not resolve it. So I followed the instructions to unscrew and remove a jam. There was nothing there apart from a few retained grinds. Cleaned them out, reassembled. Exactly the same problem, not turning off and a chirp type noise every few seconds.
I then decided to recalibrate it, watched the calibration video, followed all the instructions including setting dial to 1 then disassembling to the point of accessing the dial internally. I got distracted for a few minutes then turned my attention back to the task, this is where I think I've broken it.
I got confused over which way to rotate the dial to find the chirping point. As you are probably aware the thread is reversed from normal, so anti-clockwise is tighter, clockwise is looser. I started to turn the dial, but rather than loosening it I was tightening it. Did this a few times and couldn't figure out why it was tightening, each time running the motor to check it. Somehow I managed to tighten it until the burrs totally locked.
Eventually realised what I was doing and tried to go the other way, too late. I did unscrew it and could see that the burrs were locked tight and that the auger key was gripped tight. managed to pull the auger key out, but the burrs would not spring out, they were completely jammed solid. Interestingly now the auger key was removed the motor worked fine with both burrs just spinning together. With a slotted screwdriver I tried to turn them to loosen it, unsuccessfully.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can free the burrs up, before I send it back for repair?

Than you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Regards
Mike

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Have you tried using two screwdrivers> Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMNKwMoThg