Illy Cafe X1 (Third Gen) Over Heating Problem Solved

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
larryfrank20

#1: Post by larryfrank20 »

I have a newer (Francis Francis!) Illy Cafe X!. The circuit board is much more advanced than earlier machines, and probably controlled by a microprocessor. I am guessing, the newer models including the anniversary models and other Illy machines such as the X6 use this controller board.

This Illy cafe X1 ( Third Generation) heats up to about 120F then cools to about 100 before the ready light goes on. The earlier models do not go through this warming cycle.

The machine was working fine then suddenly would continue to heat to above 140F, and would not cool down. I have read of other people having this problem. Possible causes were suggested as a broken thermostat, or a scaling issue. I replaced the thermostat, however, the problem did not resolve.

I had a spare circuit board from a second machine, so I swapped them, and the machine worked correctly again. A search on the web found available replacement boards for X1/X6 for about $200.

Looking at the circuit board there was a thyristor with a large heart sink. My guess that this was defective, turned out to be correct.

I bought a replacement on eBay; 5 pieces for $4.63. The chip is BTA24-800 TRIAC Thyristor 25A 800V ST BTA24-800BW to-220.

Removing the chip was a little tricky, as the heat sink had to be removed first. A strong soldering iron was needed to remove the heatsink, then it was no problem removing the chip.

The repaired circuit board was returned to the machine, which is now working like new.
I hope this post will help others with the same problem.

Larry Frank