Strange fitting on direct connect Nuova Simonelli Musica

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
alfonzo

#1: Post by alfonzo »

Hi all, I recently got a direct connect NS Musica (lucked into it). The hose for plumbing it in looks like it's stock (has a cute little Italian flag pattern on it).
The problem is that I can't figure out how on earth to get from the fitting on the end to anything sensible. It looks like either M16 1.5 or approximately 5/8-18. but it's definitely NOT a flared fitting, so 5/8 MPT or similar does not work at all. There are also no M16 or non-flared 5/8 fittings at any store I've visited and I can't find something online.

I don't really care what the other end looks like - M16 to MPT, M16 to barb fitting....just something that'll let me hook this up to anything else! Any tips?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

BSPP is reasonably common for fittings on espresso machines (and reasonably uncommon at local hardware stores).

Here's one table of dimensions.

Adapters can often be found through espresso repair/service suppliers, such as https://www.espressocare.com/products/f ... mmon-parts

MRO suppliers, like McMaster in the US, are another source.

JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

alfonzo wrote:Hi all, I recently got a direct connect NS Musica (lucked into it). The hose for plumbing it in looks like it's stock (has a cute little Italian flag pattern on it).
The problem is that I can't figure out how on earth to get from the fitting on the end to anything sensible. It looks like either M16 1.5 or approximately 5/8-18. but it's definitely NOT a flared fitting, so 5/8 MPT or similar does not work at all. There are also no M16 or non-flared 5/8 fittings at any store I've visited and I can't find something online.

I don't really care what the other end looks like - M16 to MPT, M16 to barb fitting....just something that'll let me hook this up to anything else! Any tips?
Are both ends of the hose the same? Any chance you might post a picture?
Commonly, machines use 3/8 BSP on the machine, that way the hose can be the same at both ends and easily fit the machine and the water treatment. Then, in North America commonly, one would use a conversion hose to connect a typical North American shut off valve to the inlet of their water treatment assembly.
https://www.espressoplanet.com/Braided- ... ssion.html

If you can verify what the machine's connection is, there will be a hose for it.

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

The manual's english is bad enough that it may just be making things worse...

https://simonelliusa.com/images/Musica- ... trical.pdf

It sounds to me like they're trying to say that the machine has a 3/4 BSP inlet and that the hose you'll want is a 90 degree bend 3/4 at one end for the machine and then a common 3/8 BSP for the softener's end.

alfonzo (original poster)

#5: Post by alfonzo (original poster) »

Thank you Jeff and JRising! It looks like 3/8 BSPP is exactly what I'm looking for (16mm was just a smidge loose, so 16.6mm sounds right). Now I know what to look for. Very much appreciate the help!

Edit: the other end (in the machine, with a right angle bend) is indeed a lot larger, so 3/4 seems about right.