E61 flow control device comparison

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JJ La Moore

#1: Post by JJ La Moore »

I've spent the better part of a day scouring this website for threads/posts that might address my query, and while there are many, many posts about E61 flow control devices, I can't find one that addresses my question directly. (Someone will surely link to a thread on the exact topic that I missed, making me look very stupid.)

Has anyone tested out all/most/many of the E61 FCD and compared, contrasted them for ease of installation and success in results? I've seen some people say the Coffee Sensor is better than the original ECM FCD. How do those two stack up against the Lucca? And the Quick Mill? I'm sure there are others too.

Is there a YT video that I somehow missed?

E61 flow control has been a huge deal in the coffee geek world for years now, so it seems odd to me that no one has done a comprehensive comparison of what's out there.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

I have the Coffee Sensor one. But they are all basically the same so I doubt it matters. You unscrew the big nut on the top of the group, pull out the pieces that you can and screw in the new one. Takes about 2 minutes. Different ones might have slightly different flow adjustment rates, but past that, it's mostly do you like the supplied handle/knob.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

I have the Coffee Sensor and the ECM kits. The mushrooms are virtually identical. The pressure gauge with the ECM kit is a little nicer and a bit bigger. I have no experience with the other kits. The CS kit comes with two handles and replacement gaskets. The ECM mushroom is virtually impossible to take apart with normal hand tools :x to renew the gaskets (which is why I now have the CS kit :cry:)

JJ La Moore (original poster)

#4: Post by JJ La Moore (original poster) »

Nunas wrote:The ECM mushroom is virtually impossible to take apart with normal hand tools :x to renew the gaskets (which is why I now have the CS kit :cry:)
Interesting. I gather there have been a few iterations of the ECM device. Do you have the most recent one?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas replying to JJ La Moore »

No, the original one. Perhaps they've changed how they make it, so it can now come apart easily. I tried everything, short of destroying it. Then wrote IDC, who said you need special tools to get enough force.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Pressino »

Nunas wrote:No, the original one. Perhaps they've changed how they make it, so it can now come apart easily. I tried everything, short of destroying it. Then wrote IDC, who said you need special tools to get enough force.
Does your mushroom have a slot cut into it? If so, a proper-sized spanner or Crescent-style adjustable spanner with "thin" jaws should fit that slot and hold the mushroom while you use another spanner to unscrew the top nut. I think you could also get a "pin" spanner to fit the two holes drilled into the head of the mushroom to unscrew that if your mushroom cylinder is unslotted (though I thought all of the ECM's are).

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas replying to Pressino »

Believe me, we've tried everything except an impact driver and heat. It won't budge. I suspect they may have used Loctite red (thread locker) on it. In any case, it's now in the junk drawer, along with all the other doodads I bought and quit using; the Coffee Sensor one is installed and working fine, and you can bet the first ting I tried with it was taking it apart :wink: .

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate »

Here's a link to the video I followed. I was able to get my flow control apart with two wrenches but it did take some force.

Profitec Pro 600 - No Pressure/Water from Group