User Experience: Monolith Flat with Shuriken SSW Burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
BaristaBob

#1: Post by BaristaBob »

Recently I was fortunate to procure a Monolith Flat with SSW burrs. I'm really enjoying the extra sweetness I'm extracting. I'm hoping it's not all in my mind, but coffees I've used for years just seem to be much sweeter compared to my Monolith Conical v2. I know when James Hoffmann did his grinder review with the Monolith Max/SSW burrs he also commented that his extractions were tasting sweeter but wondered about the power of suggestion. Anyway, my question is what rpms are most people with these burrs using? I've been from 350 to 600, but for now settled on 550 as my sweet spot.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by PIXIllate »

I use 650 with my Flat SSW as per Denis recommendation as well as my personal tolerance for grind times over 60 seconds. I'll dial it back to 400RPM on the RARE occasion I do a V60 or Tricolate. Not sure it has a big impact.

Advertisement
BaristaBob (original poster)

#3: Post by BaristaBob (original poster) »

PIXIllate wrote:I use 650 with my Flat SSW as per Denis recommendation
Interesting but this is what Denis told me only a week ago... "As for speed, there are no rules, its all based on what you like the best."

I understand his comment, as different coffees and individual taste preferences play a major roll in dialing in rpms. It's advantageous to have a grinder that allows you to adjust grinding speed. Of course that's just my opinion.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by PIXIllate »

Your question was what do people use. I've done a fair amount of testing in the 400-650 range and have not found a difference in the cup with espresso. I used 600 for a long time as well but didn't see any upside.