Rancilio Rocky not grinding fine even with new burrs

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mike b

#1: Post by mike b »

Hey all, I just purchased a synchronika, and purchase some new burrs for my 14 year old rocky. as I was changing the burrs, I realized I stripped one of the screws on the bottom burr years ago and I think I forced that memory from my mind. I drilled it out, and replaced both burrs, cleaned everything out, but now, even zeroed out, I don't get a fine espresso grind. its actually worse that with the old burrs. Do you think maybe not having that 3rd screw is throwing everything out of whack? I'm probably going to buy a new grinder if this can't get resolved, but because I live in a NYC apt, vert space is crucial so my options are limited. I have read the forum about the marker trick and using foil to shim the burrs, so maybe I will explore that. thank you for your time

mb

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

That missing screw certainly could allow one side to run higher that the other, making it very inconsistent in its grind.

Before diving into how you might fix it, is it worth it to you? Grinders have changed a lot in the decades since the Rocky came out. If it's just a cup or two at a time, especially if a classic roast level, a hand grinder in the $160 and up range is probably better in the cup and easier to dial in than the Rocky.

If you do decide to try to fix it, it probably involves drilling out the screw and putting in a thread-repair insert, or replacing the burr carrier. A "donor" Rocky from a local sale may be significantly cheaper than an option to buying a new part.

Edit: Stefano's lists at least the lower burr carrier at a bit under $40
https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... rr-carrier

Edit: Also check Buy/Sell here. As one example (that I know no more than the posting about), [FS] Doser Rancilio Rocky Grinder

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mborkow »

The Rocky isn't a great match for the Synchronika. I'd focus on a new grinder.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

THEORY: Unscrew the top assembly and remove the screw sticking out of the bottom of the hopper. it is a stop screw and likely not allowing the top to rotate far enough.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

romlee
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by romlee »

Had a Rocky for 16 years. Replaced the burr set. Removed the stop screw. Then bought a Niche thinking that might resolve a few few lingering doubts about keeping the Rocky.

One thing led to another and I ended up replacing our 16 year old Silvia with a Puristika.This and the Niche has been a very nice match.

Sold the Silvia and threw in the Rocky as a bonus for the buyer. He knew exactly what he was getting and was happy to have both.
“Be curious, not judgemental.” T. Lasso

GreavesManchu

#6: Post by GreavesManchu »

You're obviously serious about your espresso. I used a Rocky for 19 yrs before I upgraded to a Ceado E37S. Do yourself a big favor, dump the Rocky and get a decent, stepless grinder.

Emoto

#7: Post by Emoto »

mike b wrote:Hey all, I just purchased a synchronika, and purchase some new burrs for my 14 year old rocky. as I was changing the burrs, I realized I stripped one of the screws on the bottom burr years ago and I think I forced that memory from my mind. I drilled it out, and replaced both burrs, cleaned everything out, but now, even zeroed out, I don't get a fine espresso grind. its actually worse that with the old burrs. Do you think maybe not having that 3rd screw is throwing everything out of whack? I'm probably going to buy a new grinder if this can't get resolved, but because I live in a NYC apt, vert space is crucial so my options are limited. I have read the forum about the marker trick and using foil to shim the burrs, so maybe I will explore that. thank you for your time

mb
What burrs did you put in? I have an old Rocky and not long ago put these burrs in it https://www.espressoparts.com/products/ ... 4221809851

I also updated to the newer style hopper that has a stop screw that is adjustable through a fairly wide range.

Then, I calibrated the grinder so that I was just off the point where the burrs touch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3A6O9cMtmI)

It now goes MUCH finer than it used to. This has been adequate for me to dial in a wide variety of dark roasts beans.

However, there is one I bought that I can't seem to get fine enough or the shot to take more than like 10-12 seconds for a double out of a Silvia. So, I am considering trying to find something low retention that will grind even finer. The issue is nobody publishes objective numbers on how finely a grinder goes.