Best readily available flat burr grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
drH

#1: Post by drH »

Hi all- I'm holding out hope to eventually snag a Lagom P64 or the new Acaia orbit, but in the meantime I find myself without an electric grinder.
I'm considering a Mazzer Super Jolly with a short hopper. The new version claims 50% less retention and easier access for burr cleaning. Maybe that's all I need after all (I prefer medium to dark roasts) and if I want new experiences the burrs can be swapped.

So in the flat-burr world, is there anything else I should consider (something that can be readily ordered)?

MNate

#2: Post by MNate »

I'd grab a cheap used super jolly but I certainly wouldn't pay new. The DF64 seems to be readily available now potentially even with SSP. That would be a fine route, equally good as the super jolly but cheaper and easier to modify. But I bet you'll still look to upgrade.

For me I grabbed a Niche at one point and thought I'd jump on a good flat when things are available and I know what I want. It's nice to have a conical and flat in theory. I'm quite happy with the niche for solid medium roasts and don't miss the flats I had in the past (including a Modified Super Jolly and a nice Compak 83mm with SSP). That's still the route I'd recommend.

Advertisement
Splatcat

#3: Post by Splatcat »

I got a Ceado e37s and it's truly an amazing grinder. I can highly recommend.

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

Short of getting lucky with a used grinder, Espresso Outlet had DF64s with three SSP burr options last week.

Medium to dark, you might be better off with a Niche Zero. I believe US models ship within 5 days.

drH (original poster)

#5: Post by drH (original poster) »

I've thought a lot about the Niche and I've used one before. I liked it but somehow preferred the 64mm flat in my Moca - maybe it's because those are more traditional, conical-like burrs as well.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

Spending someone else's money - Maybe a DF64 with the SSP "sweet" burrs??

I haven't followed those burrs too closely as I've got a Bentwood which I think falls in a similar intermediate range.

Splunge
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Splunge »

drH wrote:I've thought a lot about the Niche and I've used one before. I liked it but somehow preferred the 64mm flat in my Moca - maybe it's because those are more traditional, conical-like burrs as well.
I love my Niche for its workflow, general ease of use and greater body in the cup, but my Super Jolly E (SSP red, modified to single dose better) had noticeably better clarity and a flavour profile which I preferred for the med to light roasts I typically pull.
For my medium go-to "comfort blend" (these days, Hatch Supernova) the Niche does very well, but for more adventurous coffees it tends to reveal slight undertones of some of the less pleasant chemical components of a given roast. It's a bitterness, kind of, but not in the usual over extracted sense. This is somehow worse, and I can never seem to eliminate it completely with changes to temp, grind or ratio. As I said though, it's very faint, and only occurs with coffees that are more difficult to get right anyway.
As always YMMV. :)
Chris

Advertisement
Primacog

#8: Post by Primacog »

The df64 with SSP Unimodals for light and medium roasts is an excellent and extremely good value choice for a grinder that is easily available.
LMWDP #729

erik82

#9: Post by erik82 replying to Primacog »

Except that the TS doesn't drink light roasts so SSP unimodal burrs aren't the way to go.

Did you have a look at the Eureka Atom75 or Eureka Olympus. Those do a great job and also don't have a lot retention for a GOD grinder. I'd never buy a new Mazzer as there're much better grinders available. On the other hand I wouldn't hesitate to buy a second hand SJ doser model as it's a great bang for buck.