What's the issue? 1 grouphead works, the other doesn't

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
clairel

#1: Post by clairel »

Hi! I'm new to the espresso world, I have an older model Iberital L'Anna 2 group head machine. I've been able to get the left group head to work, as well as the hot water dispenser and steamer. However, the right group head does not work - no water is flowing out. I've removed the screen/gasket (which was pretty gunky), still no water comes out. I've removed the diffuser/nozzle, and water still doesn't come out.

Looking at the gauges, the left gauge works (I believe is the pump pressure) and the right gauge (I believe the boiler pressure) doesn't work - the needle is on the wrong side.

I'm also a little confused about the ON dial and what "1 vs 2" means, originally I thought it was for operating 1 vs 2 groupheads, but I found a manual for a slightly different model and this is what it says
c) Turn the switch (18) to the position 1 and wait for the automatic water level control to finish filling up the boiler.
d) Turn the switch (18) to the position 2.
Any thoughts on where I can start??
Thank you!

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

1 is not heating, so that the machine can properly fill its boiler and be tested without burning out its elements.

2 has elements on and heating, because once the machine has been filled and tested the coffee is better hot. :)

Advertisement
clairel (original poster)

#3: Post by clairel (original poster) »

Thank you, that is helpful to know the difference of what that knob does!

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

When you try to pull a shot on the non-working side, what happens? Do you push the yellow button to pull a shot or is that a light?

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

On the group that doesn't work. If the switch lights and the pump runs, but no water comes out of the group, you have to replace or repair the solenoid valve (in the cowling above the group). If nothing at all happens, the switch probably needs to be replaced or the wiring needs to be traced.
Jim Schulman

clairel (original poster)

#6: Post by clairel (original poster) »

ira wrote:When you try to pull a shot on the non-working side, what happens? Do you push the yellow button to pull a shot or is that a light?
Yes you press the yellow button and it lights up!
another_jim wrote:On the group that doesn't work. If the switch lights and the pump runs, but no water comes out of the group, you have to replace or repair the solenoid valve (in the cowling above the group). If nothing at all happens, the switch probably needs to be replaced or the wiring needs to be traced.
Ok, it does light up when pressed - so I will look into the solenoid valve. Thank you!!

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

If you swap the coils between the 2 brew valves and the problem moves with the coil, you know the coil is the issue. If the problem stays on the same side you know the issue is a clog or seized valve.