2nd Grinder Single Dose All Purpose

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Finley72
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Finley72 »

Hello all.
Looking for experience and discussion for second grinders. I'm currently using a Niche Zero for 2nd grinder. I like having a single dose that works for filter/pour over/ decaf and espresso when using smaller roasts and slow weekend mornings.

I don't have any work flow complaints about the Niche. It's fun and easy to use. I'm ready to move along due to fines etc when making anything other than espresso. Now don't get me wrong the filter / pour over is ok I'm just want to explore other options. My daily grinder is a Mahlkonig E65S GBW which I enjoy using since I pull multiple shots in a row some days. I'm familiar with other grinder options and most are 64mm. Since I already use a similar size flat burr I don't think I want another 64mm. I know there are other burr options, however looking for single dose all purpose.

Curious what others have done/doing.
So go to a larger flat burr?
P100 for example?
Perhaps the Key?
Thoughts?

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by JB90068 »

I have and use both an EG-1 and Key for espresso and can tell you about them if you want.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Finley72 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Finley72 (original poster) »

How does the Key differ in your experience over other conicals? I have read and It seems like controlling the rpm can differ the cup towards body or clarity. Instead of being more one dimension depending on the flat burr type.

kidloco

#4: Post by kidloco »

I had P100, a wonderful grinder but I realized I am not pulling that many light roasts as espressos and I also want a dedicated brew grinder.

So I sold the P100 and got MC4 for espresso. For a dedicated brew grinder, I received Ode with SSP brew burrs a few days ago and I am delighted. The thing is MC4 is making very interesting rounded/sweet brews that compliment Ode clean profile. So yeah I am satisfied with that combo.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by blondica73 »

I was in a similar situation awhile ago and went with the Monolith MC4 as I wanted a conical grinder. I was also looking at the KEY; however, I liked the feel and look of the MC4.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by JB90068 »

Finley72 wrote:How does the Key differ in your experience over other conicals? I have read and It seems like controlling the rpm can differ the cup towards body or clarity. Instead of being more one dimension depending on the flat burr type.
In my estimation, at lower rpm's the Key is what I will call a hybrid conical. In other words, it has the ability to separate more of the flavors in a similar way as the EG-1. It does not give as pronounced a separation and it offers more mouthfeel, but it still is very clean in comparison to other conicals that I've tried. I've been switching back and forth between both of my grinders daily for a while now. I'll pull my first shot on one and then pull my second shot on the other using the same roast. I can't say that I prefer one over the other as both are different enough to be excellent shots. I have found that with the roast I drink the most often, that 50 rpm's on the Key is the sweet spot versus 700 rpm's on the EG-1.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.