Replacing La Marzocco Linea Mini Vacuum Breaker

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Kickin|wiNg

#1: Post by Kickin|wiNg »

I know there are a few threads on this, but they were too old to reply.

Have to replace my vacuum breaker. I have the new part, but wanted to clarify what else I need. It looks like I'll want two 17mm wrenches for the vacuum breaker itself, is the elbow joint to the boiler also 17mm?

Planning to turn off, unplug, and drain the boiler with the hot water tap. Is there anything else I need to do to depressurize the machine?

After that it looks like, you remove the elbow & hose. Use two wrenches to take off the old vaccum breaker, attach the new one, then reattach to boiler & hose. And are the fittings on the elbow finger tight & quarter turn?

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

This video looked helpful:
By the way, you don't need to drain the boiler since the vacuum breaker is above the steam boiler water level. Of course, you should wait until the machine has cooled completely and unplugged (not just powered off, unplugged).

There's more details in a thread from last year Need advice on replacing La Marzocco Linea Mini vacuum breaker and this one from 2017 La Marzocco Linea Mini vacuum breaker repair.
Dan Kehn

Kickin|wiNg (original poster)

#3: Post by Kickin|wiNg (original poster) »

Thank you for the reply, I had checked those out. My elbow and valve are different than in the video, but I followed mostly the same steps, removing the entire assembly from the boiler.

Worried that I was just impatient (looking to practice for Coffee Fest and didn't want to wait any longer), but ran into two unexpected things: there was a washer between the valve and elbow (stovepipe shaped) that I did not receive a replacement for-looks like a crush washer, but I did reuse it.

Also had the problem, similar to that thread with the new valve facing in a bad direction. I used two wrenches to crank it around most of the way, so it's facing 7 o'clock now.

Don't see any leaks at the assembly, machine was able to reach temp & pressure, and the drip tray was completely dry this morning.