Spinn coffee brewer? Hear me out...

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TheFury

#1: Post by TheFury »

I currently have an Expobar Office Lever (bought refurbished) and a Baratza Vario. This equipment has served me well since 2014, but the pump in my machine is starting to go. So now I'm looking at whether it's worth my time to service the machine or to treat myself to a change of pace. I've been following the development of Spinn for a few years now. Is it time?

Recently I just haven't been getting as much joy from espresso as I used to. I used to drink a cappuccino every morning. Now I'm more of an americano guy. Maybe one shot out of ten is consumed straight as espresso. I live a short walk away from several really good cafes that make espresso drinks better than I ever could. And when I'm sitting at my desk, I get the most enjoyment out of a really well made filter coffee, or my aforementioned americanos.

Add to that the fact that I had a baby in the last nine months. Suddenly it seems like a huge commitment to spend five minutes every morning pulling shots while my kid looks at me wondering why I'm not feeding him his oatmeal RIGHT NOW.

Enter Spinn. Convenience sounds great, I'm a sucker for smart gadgets so it's an instant win, plus I've seen one or two positive comments from old posts here.

Here's my question: does anyone have recent experience with Spinn? It's out of it's pre launch phase and is in general availability now so I figured I'd ask.

I know what comes out of it in "espresso" mode is technically not espresso, but is it good enough for a guy who usually makes americanos or cappuccinos? Anyone with experience brewing "drip" coffee on a Spinn care to comment about its quality compared to what comes out of a chemex or mocca master?

Spinn is expensive for what it is, but I'm willing to overpay for convenience and versatility (and wifi). But is it GOOD?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!