Should I keep the EK43s or P100?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by blondica73 »

I have been playing with grinders for awhile. Now I have the EK43s (Turkish burrs) and the E65s GBW. I use the E65s GBW daily and use the EK43s for decaf or when I try new coffees. I ordered the P100 (SSP HU burrs), which is coming sometime in July/August to replace the EK43s; however, I'm not sure now. I only drink espresso type drinks. Should I stay with the EK43s or P100? I know the P100 is quieter. I also had the Niche, MAX and MC4, these were too slow for me. I'm also contemplating a conical burr grinder (not Baratza) to complement the flat burr grinders I have, I just don't know which one yet.

knumph

#2: Post by knumph »

Why wouldn't you make the decision *after* trying the p100

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mreloc »

I cancelled my P100 order after getting my 807 Lab Sweet. With the 3D printed single dose hopper and raising the platform near the top I can grind into my portafilter/decent funnel with zero mess. I can't imagine speed or workflow being any better with the P100.

drH

#4: Post by drH replying to mreloc »

How tall is it with the new hopper? Any pictures you can share?

mreloc
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mreloc »

drH wrote: How tall is it with the new hopper? Any pictures you can share?
I haven't measured it and I'm traveling for work this week- but here's a pic of my setup. The workflow is great- platform raised high, my bottomless portafilter sits below the chute. Turn on grinder, pour 18g in, hit the knocker a coupe of times, get 18 g out +~ .1g.

Somehow, no mess around the machine from errant fines like I'd get with my Niche.

blondica73 (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by blondica73 (original poster) »

Ended up canceling my P100 order as I realized that I would better benefit from a conical burr grinder, rather than another flat burr grinder.