Flojet setup questions

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I'm looking to set up a machine and rinser to a flojet system connected using a 5 gallon water dispenser jug. I'm trying to think through the setup right now. Nothing can be plumbed directly and it needs to be an isolated system like a coffee cart. So there will be 2 different sources of water one for the espresso machine and one for the rinser (they'll use different water so need to be isolated). My thoughts are 2 flojet pumps, 1 feeding the espresso machine and 1 feeding the rinser and the machine and rinser will share a gravity-fed 5-gallon jug for waste water. Sounded pretty simple in my head but I'm seeing that added accumulator tanks, ball values and check values are essentials to the system.

So in my head I started with:
flowjet → braided line (direct to espresso machine, rinser, etc...)

now it has evolved to this:
flowjet → check value → accumulator tank → ball value → check value → braided line (direct to espresso machine, rinser, etc...)

So what part of this system is good practice and what part is really just superfluous? (should I add anything like a carbon filter for the espresso machine)

also the flojet comes with 1/4" tubing to be used in the outlet and various sources online all seem to take an adapter and turn that into 3/8" tubing right away, then run the 3/8" tubing through the rest of the system until it's fitted into the braided line. Why not run the 1/4" tubing through the system instead? what's the benifit of the 3/8" tubing over the 1/4" tubing? is it just easier to use and more available?

Marcelnl

#2: Post by Marcelnl »

How much volume/debit does your system need, I think that is an important consideration.
I'm using a separate rotary pump (capable of 9Bar) to fill the Urania with distilled (RPavlis) water, that setup is perfectly viable for use at home but not likely for anyone needing to fill a boiler several times a day.
LMWDP #483

DamianWarS (original poster)

#3: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to Marcelnl »

it's for a low-volume cafe. starting out it will probably be next to no volume but I do want to have room to scale up or busy times. I know if the pump is cycling too much then you can just add an accumulator tank if you need it so it's not really a big problem. I'll also be setting up a demonstration station as well for training and testing. The most expensive thing is the pump itself and if you already got the pump the rest of the costs are fairly small. The accumulator tank is only about $35 USD and tubing/fittings are minimal. I'm thinking I try and do a more full set up on a demo station and compare that with a minimal setup. (for my own learning too)

how does my logic sound?
flojet out → check value → accumulator tank → ball value → check value → machine in

from the flojet it has 1/4" tubing, I'll get that to a 3/8" tubing as it seems to be the standard and use 3/8" through the whole system using reducer/expander press fittings. I'll also probably add a carbon filter as well but I'm not sure where to put it before the accumulator or after. Any recommendations on how to improve it? should I install pressure gauges as well which I guess would be placed right before the equipment line in.

Marcelnl

#4: Post by Marcelnl »

If you need line pressure an accumulator is likely nice to have, if the espresso machine has a boiler you probably do not need one (and no pressure gauge). Check valves are always handy!
Where that carbon filter sits likely depends on what type it is, I'd be inclined to put it before the flojet if that can create enough suction or right after it so you keep anything you plan to filter out of most of your system. The whole system is fairly straighforward IMO, and you can probably do it in any way you can come up with ;-)
LMWDP #483

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#5: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Lots of info in this thread.

Espresso Cart - Goodbye Plumbed In

Make sure it's a new Flojet and not the old 5000 model. If so consider another pump.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

DamianWarS (original poster)

#6: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

I think I'll install check valves in between each component to isolate them, a ball valve sometime after the accumulator tank to shut off the system for the espresso machine and the rest I'll add as I feel the need. it's pretty simple approaching it that way but putting together a shopping list does require a fair bit of various fittings and tubing cut to fit that makes it seem more complicated than it is. but push to fit fittings are a breeze to install the biggest task will be making it look all all neat and pretty.

Marcelnl

#7: Post by Marcelnl replying to DamianWarS »

sounds like a good approach to me!
LMWDP #483