Lubing the gasket?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JakiChan

#1: Post by JakiChan »

Bless me father for I have sinned...it has been several years since I last replaced my gasket and screen. (Although oddly, I took a pic of my screen today and it looked pretty legit.)

I've got a new gasket and screen showing up tomorrow and I've been going back to some YouTube videos talking about using food-safe lube to help get the basket in to place. I added some to my order but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to do it. Does anyone have a link to a video showing me how to use this lube or have directions? I'm just looking for how much I'm supposed to use and where I'm supposed to put it.

BTW, here's my situation. I don't doubt I need a new gasket but the screen doesn't look too bad. (Although they were cheap so I ordered one anyway.)

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Just a thin film around the outer perimeter of the gasket where it touches the group.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Press the gasket into place gently with your fingers. If using a Cafelat gasket, the lettering goes up. If the gasket doesn't seat completely, carefully and gently locking in the PF and basket can help. The grease is to help keep the gasket from twisting until it is well seated.

JakiChan (original poster)

#4: Post by JakiChan (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Just a thin film around the outer perimeter of the gasket where it touches the group.
So do you mean the outside of the ring of the gasket or the very top surface?

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

The outer perimeter 'circumference' ring.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

JakiChan wrote:So do you mean the outside of the ring of the gasket or the very top surface?
It's totally not critical. I just put a small dab on my fingers and smear a thin coat all over the gasket.

GDM528

#7: Post by GDM528 »

First off, kudos on getting that subject title past the censors!

I've used Super Lube part #56204 - but found it would not-so-mysteriously disappear over time. I suspect I was drinking a little bit of silicone lubricant with each shot - yum. My takeway was to use the minimum amount possible.