Cleaning Flojet setup

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
jeffg2020

#1: Post by jeffg2020 »

I use a Flo-jet w/ the intake end in a 5-gallon Poland Spring bottle, which I do in fact keep filled w/ PS.

The other day I was surprised by what I thought was an "off" smell coming from the bottle. Normally I wouldn't notice: I'm standing over the bottle so my nose isn't close. Not sure why that would happen: it's just H2O in there.

But it raises a broader question: what kind of maintenance & cleaning are needed in the simple system I described? While I'm thinking mainly about the bottle the other elements are 1) tubes and 2) pump itself.

I'm sure this problem has been solved - thx in advance for any advice.

Jeff

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I have PBW for cleaning and Star San for sanitizing.

However, there are many alternatives to name brands, for example, baking soda or vinegar or oxy-clean for cleaning and bleach for sanitizing. Look up how to clean and sanitize a growler or a carboy for details. (I haven't tried any of these so I can't recommend a particular technique.)

If your bottle is plastic, then you'll have to check what can be safely used with the particular material that your container is made of.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

spressomon

#3: Post by spressomon »

3% hydrogen peroxide or 70% isopropyl alcohol for sanitizing "plastic" water containers including carboys is effective. Not sure about using hydrogen peroxide for odor elimination as I have only used isopropyl alcohol to completely neutralize odors in plastic drinking water containers.
No Espresso = Depresso

bgnome

#4: Post by bgnome replying to spressomon »

Then you can sterilize it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhAV2xbQOSo

jeffg2020 (original poster)

#5: Post by jeffg2020 (original poster) »

OK, useful answers, thx.

Jeff