Will magnesium sulfate and calcium chloride, added for general hardness, affect alkalinity?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I am preparing water for coffee brewing. To a measurement of distilled water, I will be adding measurements of baking soda to hit an alkalinity target, and Epsom salt to hit a general hardness target in magnesium and calcium chloride to hit a general hardness target in calcium.

I thought the chlorides and sulfates might affect the alkalinity so I did a quick search, finding this:https://www.owp.csus.edu/glossary/calci ... valent.php

calcium carbonate (CaCO3) equivalent An expression of the concentration of specified constituents in water in terms of their equivalent value to calcium carbonate. For example, the hardness in water that is caused by calcium, magnesium, and other ions is usually described as calcium carbonate equivalent. Alkalinity test results are usually reported as mg/L CaCO3 equivalents. To convert chloride to CaCO3 equivalents, multiply the concentration of chloride ions in mg/L by 1.41, and for sulfate, multiply by 1.04.

I assume the Epsom salt will release sulfates and the calcium chloride will release chlorides. Will those sulfate and chloride ions affect the alkalinity? And if they will will that add to it, or subtract from it?

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Acavia wrote:I assume the Epsom salt will release sulfates and the calcium chloride will release chlorides. Will those sulfate and chloride ions affect the alkalinity? And if they will will that add to it, or subtract from it?
No, neither chloride nor sulfate will neutralize acids and thus will not affect the alkalinity.

Any chemical compound might be quantified in units of CaCO3 equivalent, and quantifying it that way does not necessarily mean that it has any hardness or alkalinity. For natural water, alkalinity is due to carbonates (CO3⁻⁻ and HCO3⁻ anions) and those are best quantified in CaCO3 equivalents. Hardness is due to calcium and magnesium cations, and those are also best quantified in CaCO3 equivalents. It's handy because it's easy to convert because of the fact that CaCO3 has a molar mass of 100 and also has been a common convention among water treatment as well as coffee people for years. The authors of the latest SCA water quality handbook (an excellent resource) like to use a shorthand, "ppm CaCO3" when describing water, which is a good idea. "ppm CaCO3" being the same thing as "mg/L CaCO3 equivalent".

Here's a very recent IG post from Samo Smrke on this topic:

P.S. Edit addition for chemistry quibblers. Yes, chloride and sulfate are conjugate bases of hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sulfuric acid (H2SO4), but those are strong acids, and conjugate bases of strong acids would not affect alkalinity, which is related to acid buffering down to a pH of around 4.2 - 4.5.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h