Grinder Advice for the Inexperienced

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Dave1981

#1: Post by Dave1981 »

Hi,

I've got a rocket appartamento, and currently grinding with a commandante hand grinder. This makes a great coffee, but at 6am I feel I need a coffee before I start grinding.

I've also got a breville smart grinder, that I had with my old breville machine. It seems to just not want to dial in and the coffee is notably worse than with the commandate. I've also not been able to get the grind small enough with some beans, which may or may not be a mistake I'm making, but I don't know. Either way, time for an upgrade and I'm lost.

From reading through the the forum I see Niche, Eureka and Rocket as possibilities. Probably any would be fine but I'd rather buy once and be done for years than say buy cheap and regret it.

I'm happy to weigh and grind a single shot on demand. I prefer limited wastage as I generally forget to order beans until too late and the last few shots are precious as gold dust. I'm not very good at dialling the machine in, so relative simplicity would be helpful. I quite like the 'clicks' on the commendante even though sometime a bean seems to sit in between the clicks for a good pour.

Any advice for someone that knows enough to know they know too little?

Thanks.

luvmy40

#2: Post by luvmy40 »

Niche Zero, especially if you are a classic espresso lover, I.e., medium to dark roasts. DF64 either way.

The niche just works, and isn't too pricey.

The DF64 is inexpensive and can use a variety of designer burrs.

Of course, there many capable grinders in a very large range of prices. These are just 2 that I have personal experience with.

palica

#3: Post by palica »

And if design/look is important for you, a Mignon Specialita in chrome will make a beautiful set with your Rocket. In the morning, I like simple things: turning on the grinder and pressing the button, making sure I have the perfect qty of grind in my portafilter and getting my first latte is priceless. Which does not mean I also like to weight my beans and spend more time the rest of the day.
To me, the Specialita and a Commandante or another good hand grinder are two very valid solutions for very different situations.

spressomon

#4: Post by spressomon »

Although the Niche is attractively priced I found its plastic components not conducive to "buy it once" mantra. If you truly want a grinder that will go the distance and budget allows, consider one of the Kafatek Monolith grinders. I purchased my Flat from Denis (Kafatek) new in 2016 and its been used every day without issue whatsoever.
No Espresso = Depresso

Quester

#5: Post by Quester »

Dave1981 wrote:I've also not been able to get the grind small enough with some beans, which may or may not be a mistake I'm making, but I don't know.
Have you tried the shim kit? This was my first grinder and I couldn't grind fine enough until I installed a shim.

SingleOrigin

#6: Post by SingleOrigin »

Do you have a budget in mind?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas »

David, Set your Smart Grinder to the coarsest setting, remove the hopper and look down inside. You should see the top burr, its plastic carrier, and a wire bail. Flip the wire bail up to vertical, grab it firmly and turn it all the way counterclockwise. It may take a bit of force, especially if you don't turn the dial to coarse, but it will suddenly snap to the removal position. Notice on the burr carrier there's a red dot that aligns with some numbers. Note the number you're on, in case it moves on you inadvertently. Now, remove the wire bail by gently pulling either end away from the plastic, then the other end. The burr is now free to turn in the outer plastic carrier. Notice on either side of the red dot arrows that indicate coarser and finer. Turn the dot a bit finer, reassemble and try. Don't turn it a long way, just one number at a time until you can grind fine enough to choke your espresso machine on the finest grind setting. This should solve your problem, at least until you get a better grinder.